Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
758 messages over 95 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 94 95 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5045 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 225 of 758
11 May 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
book2
Btw, why is თქვენ used with children? Maybe a calque from German?

What do you mean? It's plural, not the polite form in this case. If you were talking to only one child then you
would say 'shen' but it says 'bavshvebo' (plural).
:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 226 of 758
11 May 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
LGS 10

1) What's the difference between დარი and ამინდი for weather? I've seen the latter more often.

2) I didn't get much the difference between ყველა and ყველანი.

3) If I got it right, ვიცი is the only verb that uses the subject in the ergative case also in the present tense?
1 person has voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5041 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 227 of 758
12 May 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Murdoc, it's so good of you to take the time to help us with our Georgian.

You are all very welcome.

Quote:
One question, though, since შესახებ takes the genitive, shouldn't it be რის
შესახებ?

Yeah my bad, didn't notice it. Well spotted.

Quote:
Why is ქართულის in the genitive? Is it required by postposition (or adverb) გარდა?

Yes, 'გარდა' requires it.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if there's a case when the particle -ც has to be added to a noun that ends in -ს, that is, in the genitive or accusative. In this case, would we have to use an extended form in -ისა and only then add the -ც?

In genitive it would be '-სსაც' I think, if I got what you mean, like "სასმისსაც" (სასმისი – drinking vessel).
"–ისა" would be used in 'ნათესაობითი' (don't know how it's called in English), like "სასმისისაც". Is that what you meant?

Quote:
I assume this -კო is an afectuous ending/diminutive?

Yes.

Quote:
1) What's the difference between დარი and ამინდი for weather? I've seen the latter more often.

'დარი' is old form, while 'ამინდი' is newer and commonly used. Also 'დარი' is preferred word of choice in literature.

Quote:
2) I didn't get much the difference between ყველა and ყველანი.

'ყველა' simply means 'all'. While 'ყველანი' always refers to people and means like 'all of them' or 'all of you' or 'all of us' depending on who is it referred to.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 228 of 758
14 May 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I decided to skip last Friday's exercises (Lesson 10 from LGS). Thing is, there are seven exercises and most of them deal with adding the correct demonstrative/interrogative/possessive/reltive pronouns. For me it's still a complicated topic, and I don't have access to the answer key. So I had better move on and go back to this detailed and important group of exercises when I have the answer keys or on a brighter day.

It's specially confusing when it comes to the third person, as personal pronouns come from demonstratives and there is a distinction of three degress of distance to the person who speaks, not to mention difference forms in dative and ergative, unlike the 1st and 2nd personal pronouns.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 229 of 758
14 May 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
WHat is the declension of the pronoun ეგ?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 230 of 758
14 May 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
book2

მას თავისი სათვალე დარჩა. He has forgotten his glasses.
Is დარჩა a verb? What does it mean?

მან თავისი პასპორტი დაკარგა. He has lost his passport.
Why მან here instead of მას? Is it ergative for this verb?

Only book2 today. I have to take a break and study last and next Lehrbuch's lessons more carefully, otherwise I'll lose track. Things start to get more complicated in terms of vocabulary.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 231 of 758
14 May 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I don't want to sound like the lazy schoolboy who asks others to do his homework. I'm studying on my own, and since I don't have the answer key, I'll get nowhere by trying to do this alone when I have no clue. So I'll post a few here. I beg to ignore any visible typos because I do it more or less in a hurry. I can understand the meaning of all sentences but memorizing the endings for each demonstrative in nominative, dative and ergative is quite something. I don't even have a reference I can check off-hand. More coming next day (Google Translate gets awfully slow the more you type, maybe it's some intentional incompatibility with Firefox).

Insert the demonstratives (in brackets) in the required forms:
1. რა ჰქვია (ეგ) ბიჭს? 2. (ის) გოგომ ყველაფერი იცის. 3. (ეს) სტუდენტები კარგად სწავლობენ. 4. პროფესორი (ეგ) სტუდენტებს წიგნებს აძლევს. 5. გუშინ მე (ის) ბთან ვიყავი სტუმრად. 6. (ეს) წერილები (ეს) ქალებისთვის არის. 7. (ესენი) ყველაფერი იციან. 8. მე (ის) ვერ ვხედავ.

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5041 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 232 of 758
16 May 2012 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Quote:
WHat is the declension of the pronoun ეგ?

Is declension ბრუნება? Then it's "მაგ" for all of them except there's no "წოდებითი" I imagine.

Quote:
Is დარჩა a verb? What does it mean?

Yes it's a verb. It means "to leave something behind, to forget to take sth."
It requires subject to be in genitive - ვის დარჩა? მას დარჩა

Quote:
მან თავისი პასპორტი დაკარგა. He has lost his passport.
Why მან here instead of მას? Is it ergative for this verb?

Yes it's ergative.

1. რა ჰქვია მაგ ბიჭს? 2. იმ გოგომ ყველაფერი იცის. 3. ეს სტუდენტები კარგად სწავლობენ. 4. პროფესორი მაგ სტუდენტებს წიგნებს აძლევს. 5. გუშინ მე მასთან ვიყავი სტუმრად. 6. ეს წერილები ამ ქალებისთვის არის. 7. ამათმა ყველაფერი იციან 8. მე მას ვერ ვხედავ.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version