Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 417 of 758
13 September 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
I've got an answer at another forum; it's an intransitive verb, III conjugation, hence the subject in the nominative. The place you visit is the indirect object, hence the dative.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 418 of 758
13 September 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
No big difficulties for today's text at the Newspaper Reader. I still have to get used to the idea I'm not coming back to Nikolaishvili's book =D

Considering that I've learned quite a bit of familiar dialogues from Kiziria's, book2 and Nikolaishvili's (and even from Hewitt's to a minor extent), I think it's no problem if I pick up two books both focused on reading. Besides, I need to start learning Georgian for real. Therefore, I'll be studying Aronson's book once I'm done with Hewitt's (which I really expect to happen tomorrow, allowing me to start the Reading Grammar on monday). I'll have to figure out how to keep in touch with familiar vocabulary for the next two months when I'll be studying the Newspaper Reader and the Reading Grammar. If I'm lucky enough, I'll be able to tackle parallel texts once I'm done with Aronson's book.

I'd really like to study Tschenkéli's books but my lack of German would make the work so slow. The translation exercises are doable, but that would spoil the fun.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 419 of 758
13 September 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
It's over, the nightmare is over!! I could work through the final texts and I just finished Hewitt's Learner's Grammar. I'm happy and relieved. I did learn a lot, regardless how undidactical the book was. I know this is not a farewell, as I may really come back once in a while to look up some grammar aspects that might be covered in a different approach and with more examples at Hewitt's.

I'm optimistic regarding Aronson's book. I may not be able to do one lesson each day, but I will benefit a lot from the fact that now I can use the desktop and the tablet in parallel, which makes doing the exercises absolutely faster and more convenient. I'm sure having bought the tablet was determinant for me to finally boost up my language learning, and it is going to help me a lot at my second (or third, maybe) attempt to learn that important book. I will try not to overlook anything as I did several times with Hewitt's books and the Lehrbuch.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 420 of 758
13 September 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
There's still time for a mea culpa: I didn't realize, totally forgot that at the back of Hewitt's book you can find translation for all literary texts - only the dialogues aren't translated. That would have saved me several minutes each day and allowed me for actual reading practice other than the wild guesses I had been taking. It's too late for me, but now others can be aware of that. Bear in mind the dialogues are still left untranslated and this accounts for most of the lesson.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5017 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 421 of 758
13 September 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I've got an answer at another forum; it's an intransitive verb, III
conjugation, hence the subject in the nominative. The place you visit is the indirect
object, hence the dative.

Ah, yeah that's the word, intransitive. That's what i was trying to say.

By the way, what other forum are you talking about?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 422 of 758
13 September 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
It's Unilang (I'm not sure I can talk about other forums here, just check it, there's a Georgian subforum though not much active).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 423 of 758
14 September 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Now i've just been through Aronson's lesson 2 for the IIIrd time. This time I didn't write down the exercises because I had already done it up to lesson 4. I think I benefited a lot from trying to read the Georgian instead of translating English into Georgian, as I usually do. I was familiar with almost all of the vocabulary, and I hope that I find more familiar words in the next 2 lessons which I had tried previously.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 424 of 758
17 September 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Another day of my renewed Georgian studies is over! Today I didn't have to use Google Translator or translate.ge even once. You can see the difference one - or two - good textbooks made. All that I needed at the Newsapaper Reading and at Aronson's was extensively explained within the actual lessons.

At the newspaper reader I came across again a text with rather unusual word order. I do hope I get accostumed to that before the book is over, because my first attempt at actual news items was rather drastic, from what you can see at zecchino's log.

As for Aronson's 3rd lesson, I didn't feel it unuseful to learn IInd conjugation verbs anymore, because I've been through several other grammar features in the meantime between my first attempt and today's.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version