Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 441 of 758
01 October 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm done with the exercises for Lesson 11. I understood quite little from all those participles and causatives, I'd rather just look up these forms in the dictionary. I think even Aronson didn't manage to explain their usage properly, and I find it pointless to learn several different forms when I can't tell when to use them. So, I'll get them from context. I'm glad lesson 12 has a more down-to-earth subject, which is the 4th conjugation, but until there I still have a reading passage for lesson 11.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 442 of 758
01 October 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
It's still going smoothly, as I'm managing to accomplish 1 lesson a day. Tomorrow is lesson 12, and I believe I'm finishing the book sooner than expected, anyway, as I'm at page 334 out of 459 pages of actual lessons. This is a book at which I'll keep having an eye, even though, for topics that left unanswered, like participles and perfect/pluferfect, I'll check other sources such as Hewitt's 1k-page Structural Grammar and Tchenkéli's extensive work. Since I don't have a working German yet, I might just start reading a few pages of Hewitt's grammar each day, consdering it is just a reference work and not a textbook. It might be fun after all.

If things go as planned, by the end of October I'll also have finished the Newspaper Reader and I'll start running out of upper-beginner and intermediate Georgian textbooks. I'll have to face real texts, conversations, TV. My vocabulary is improving a lot through the latest readings, as I'm getting used to abstract verbs that respond for so much difficulty in understanding a text at a foreign language.

I'm wanderlusting for the Continuing Course and I'm even going to keep up with another learner I've met. Then I really don't know, anything may happen. I'm preparing my bilingual editions for a couple of books, French-based, for killing two birds with a stone is the current motto of language learners.

I still haven't realized what has happened in the course of this year, it's a mistery that got unveiled, a doorkey to a new culture that fascinates me more and more each day. If I can do this for a couple of other languages, I won't regret spending so much time on language learning at all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 443 of 758
02 October 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
I just realized that there could be only one week till I finish Aronson's book. Today's lesson on IV conjugation verbs was interesting, I start to get the hang of it. Only the reading passage was awfully boring and long. I'll leave it for tomorrow, but, since lesson 13 seems to be shorter, I'm going to try to anticipate reading it today later in the evening, so I can finish lesson 12's reading and proceed to lesson 13's exercises rightafter.

As for the newspaper reader, still an invaluable resource. Today no more war, it was about la mode. Two short paragraphs instead of just one, but no big deal. I start to realize it too is coming to an end sooner than expected.

markdhemming
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4504 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, French
Studies: Georgian, Spanish

Message 444 of 758
03 October 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm impressed with your progress, so you're providing me with a little inspiration to keep going! How long have you been studying Georgian for now?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 445 of 758
03 October 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I've started on January 16th which is the day I opened this log. I still have a
lot of vocabulary to memorize, but I'm enjoying it so far, that's what matters!

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5041 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 446 of 758
03 October 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator,

How are you? I see you've been quite busy with Georgian lately.
I've been quite busy myself but I will check up regularly from now on in case you'll have any questions.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 447 of 758
03 October 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi Murdoc, nice to see you're back!

I need to do more like zecchino, write more! I've learned quite a bit from the past books but I've focused on reading and grammar.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 448 of 758
04 October 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I didn't study Georgian yesterday. I already made up for this through the Newspaper Reader, but as for Aronson, I don't really think i'll be able to finish the reading passage at Lesson 12, read the whole of lesson 13 and still do lesson 14. I do hope to finish the book by next week, though.

Regarding the Newspaper Reader and how I easily get confused about books, I noticed that it actually has 40 lessons, some of them consisting of 4 to 5 pages of three or more paragraphs. So, it will take me much longer than expected. That is bad at one respect, but good that I'm going to have more time to get used to the newspaper style and the abstract verbs such as "represent", "consists of", "attests" that accounts for so much of the vpcabulary you need to learn passively. On the other hand, I realized I only have audio up to lesson 24, so the next lessons will be as boring as reading a passage at Aronson's, and I won't have any chance to hear any spoken Georgian. By that time, as I'll be doing the Newspaper Reader and the Continuing Course (which doesn't have audio either). Given that, I may consider postponing the Continuing Course and picking up one of the two Russian textbooks for beginners I found, with plenty of audio.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version