Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 449 of 758
05 October 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm not very fond of biographies and the text was rather long, but I liked the Reading Passage for lesson 13 after all. I could get a nice idea of the text, which means that when the subject is more or less familiar, you can understand the text more easily and even learn more grammar as you figure it out within the text. lesson 14 is shorter with less exercises and the author warns us the reading passage is long, but on the other hand it consists of a story with dialogues. Thus, I hope it will be actually easier. If I manage to read the grammar explanations soon, maybe I can finish the book next week.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 450 of 758
08 October 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
I've finished lesson 14's exercises. They were really nice: sentences were short and
dealt with daily-usage subjects instead of literary circles (no prejudice). Now I've
started the reading passage, a novel excerpt which, although being longer, sounds much
more interesting and much easier to be understood from context than a text on how to
calculate the date according to several ancient calendar systems. Now I'm excited about
reading in Georgian!!! Can't wait to decide whether I will start with Jules Vernes, Le
Petit Prince, Lord of the Flies or an actual Georgian text.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 451 of 758
08 October 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Today's studies started earlier. I manage to finish the reading passage for Lesson 14,
which I had started yesterday. Now there's only lesson 15 left, which I may finish
today or tomorrow. It's a milestone to be reached. When I first saw that book, I knew
it wouldn't allow me to start learning Georgian straight from it, and for a few times I
thought I'd never actually use it. Now I'm glad I could make a good use of Aronson's
grammar. I haven't actually learned any more than 10% from it. Regarding the perfect,
for example, I'm still totally clueless, but I hope this introduction will allow me to
get used to it. I must say that I prefer to use Armazi's site as a reference once I've
been through the first necessary explanations.

I expected to find more "extra" grammar topics on usages, syntax other than the
traditional parts of speech. Maybe I should try the Georgian Syntax - A Relational
Grammar which covers this topic extensively and which now sounds more accessible.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 452 of 758
08 October 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
What's the difference between სიცოცხლე and ცხოვრება?? Both mean life, while ცხოვრება is a verbal noun. I wonder how their usage differs.

EDIT: At today's Newspaper Reader I read an obituary: “მჯერა სიცოცხლე სხეულის გარეშე“. How is this belief like in Georgia?

Edited by Expugnator on 08 October 2012 at 6:56pm

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5040 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 453 of 758
09 October 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Expugnator,

'სიცოცხლე' is life as a natural phenomenon, in a biological/physical sense.
'ცხოვრება' is life that makes up our, human existence from birth to death.

Quote:
“მჯერა სიცოცხლე სხეულის გარეშე“.

მჯერა სიცოცხლის სხეულის გარეშე.

Quote:
How is this belief like in Georgia?

As majority of population are quite religious, naturally they share the Christian belief of life after death.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 454 of 758
09 October 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
So, it's over. Just finished the final reading passage for Lesson 15. Extended learning
yesterday, today before work and this evening were just enough for me to accomplish this
important task. I became much more used to reading Georgian thanks to Aronson's accurate
explanations on grammar and tips for actually interpreting Georgian texts. Now I have to
decide whether I'll start right away from the Continuing Course or start over with one of
the Russian books for which I got audio.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 455 of 758
09 October 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
So, here we go! Continuing course.

I could understand the dialogue so far. It's not translated, most expressions are explained through notes but there are some verbal forms I still couldn't work out:

დაცოლშვილდი - married with children ??
მონახე - found (in the sense of 'couldn't you find anyone to marry with?). What's the difference between this and იპოვე?
უბედურებაც იმაშია - that's (exactly) the problem ???
ორივეს ხომ ვერ შევირთავ ცოლად - I don't remember the verb შევირთავ, but I guess this means he can't marry both.
კურდღლის მდევარი ვერც ერთს ვერ დაიჭერსო - he who chases two rabbits catches neither

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5040 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 456 of 758
10 October 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
დაცოლშვილდი - married with children ??

Yes, that's right.

Quote:
მონახე - found (in the sense of 'couldn't you find anyone to marry with?). What's the difference between this and იპოვე?

I can't think of any significant differences.

Quote:
უბედურებაც იმაშია - that's (exactly) the problem ???

Yeah, that's the meaning pretty much.

Quote:
ორივეს ხომ ვერ შევირთავ ცოლად - I don't remember the verb შევირთავ, but I guess this means he can't marry both.

'შევირთავ' is from the verb 'შერთვა' – 'connect', 'unite'. ცოლის შერთვა – marry (to woman).

Quote:
კურდღლის მდევარი ვერც ერთს ვერ დაიჭერსო - he who chases two rabbits catches neither

That's right, except 'ორი' for 'two' is missing in the beginning of the sentence.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version