Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 633 of 758
18 March 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
I said that the exercises at Tschenkéli's book looked a bit long, but so far they are useful. There is a glossary before the text, just like there is for the translation exercises, and this helps a lot. Texts are short and interesting so far. No dusty literature for the moment, though I suspect time will come when I will have to read about Georgian history for the 3rd time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 634 of 758
18 March 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I realized that I have two different translations of The Little Prince in Georgian. The one I was using first is simpler and closer to the French edition I have. The other one is the one that seems to elaborate on the language. Let's check the first sentence of Chapitre VII:

Le cinquième jour, toujours grâce au mouton, ce secret de la vie du petit prince me fut révélé.

Translation 1:
მეხუთე დღეს, ისევ ბატკნის წყალობით, პატარა პრინცის ცხოვრების ეს საიდუმლოც ამოვიცანი.

Translation 2:
მეხუთე დღეს, ამჯერადაც ბატკნის წყალობით, ფარდა აეხადა პატარა უფლისწული ცხოვრების
საიდუმლოს.

Notice how closer to the original in French is the first translation. It even uses the word პრინცი instead of the proper Georgian უფლისწული, but, apart from that, the translation is more literal. You won't find the word for 'curtain' in the French text =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 635 of 758
19 March 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Today at Tschenkéli's I read a simple explanation on the endings of optatives: verbs with aorist in -ე have optative in -ო, and verbs with aorist in -ი have optative in -ა. Simple, straightforward. You don't have to worry about all these rules that govern the formation of the aorist and you do have an useful rule for the optative.

Now I'm reading about the usage of future subjunctive X optative. Like always, I'll keep confused and will only learn through examples.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 636 of 758
20 March 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
A friend just recommended this:

Quiznet

I've finished the optative chapter at Tschenkéli's. As for The Little Prince, it's been slow and not much rewarding. I'd have to put much effort on each sentence for actually taking a good profit of this bilingual reading. I only add a few sentences I find more general and not story-binded to Anki. Anyway, it's my first book and it's useful after all.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 637 of 758
28 March 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
It's been a while since my latest updates. This log has been a monolog(ue) anyway :P
I'm studying Georgian mostly at home, before going to work, and I'm usually in a hurry
at these times, so I don't bother logging in and posting. I prefer to keep logged in at
work (Yeah I know, this sounds lazy =D).

I'm having a good time with EGS. I just studied relative pronouns. It's interesting how
the author covered the formal usage with რომელი as well as the colloquial usage with
რომ. I bet it was already very popular at that time. I came across these usages at
Hewitt's book (I think there was even a third one) and I found it awfully confusing to
learn all of them at a time. Now it starts to make more sense. For example:

ის გემი, რომლითაც ჩამოვიდა ქალბატონი ირინე, დადის მხოლოდ ზაფხულში.
ქალბატონი ირინე რომ ჩამოვიდა ის გემი, დადის მხოლოდ ზაფხულში.

Both mean "The ship on which Ms. Irine came only goes on Summer", but the word order at
the 2nd clause is "Ms. Irine that came this ship, goes only on Summer". You even lose
the prepositional and case nuance attached to the relative pronoun რომელი, and you get
a plain რომ and a different word order. No wonder that those sentences are harder for
foreigners to understand.

With regards to Le petit prince, i'm still not taking the best out of it, though I
start to associate Georgian and French more often.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 638 of 758
01 April 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Today's EGS lesson was on indefinite pronouns, those that end with მე and ღაც (the former
being more indefinite than the latter).It's a bit annoying, and might take me three days.
I prefer to study syntax through examples, so I may learn more form the exercises than
from the text itself.

Regarding Le Petit Prince, today's chapter had a dialogue, so I think it was more useful
overall. I still am far away from being able to read whatever text in Georgian. I have
been studying it since January 2012 and it still hasn't started to pay off. I may be able
to do the tourist talk indeed, but i'm far from leaving textbooks and being able to learn
just by reading, even considering texts with translations.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 639 of 758
03 April 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
What's the best way to render "actually", "in fact", in Georgian?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 640 of 758
03 April 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Today I got to the "heart" of Le Petit Prince, with the most famous quotations which I will repeat in Georgian:

დასანახს მხოლოდ გულით დაინახავ. მთავარი თვალისთვის უხილავია.

მუდამ პასუხს აგებ იმისთვის, ვინც მოიშინაურე.

Now it's becoming more fun =D My trouble is still with longer sentences and with participles, though I could get this one:

...გაიმეორა პატარა პრინცმა, რომ არ დავიწყებოდა.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version