Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
758 messages over 95 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 94 95 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5040 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 65 of 758
14 February 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
book2 20

მყუდროდ მოეწყვეთ! - Make yourself comfortable.
Which tense is მოეწყვეთ?

Aorist. The verbs ending in ე (sometimes with person/number endings like the one above) are aorist. It is
used
for commands.

Expugnator wrote:

რას დალევთ?     What would you like to drink?
Is დალევთ future tense?

Yep.

Expugnator wrote:

Let me see if I understood something: when you use the optative for an invitation, in the sense of "Let's", you
may - or may not - add the მოდი(თ) (imperative?) before the optative. The optative, though, should always
be in the 1st plural - ჩვენ form, with ვ- and -თ, regardless whether you're calling that person შენ or თქვენ...Is
it so?

Yeah. Because you're saying "let's (we)..." You're referring to "us" not "you."

Edited by zecchino1991 on 14 February 2012 at 2:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 66 of 758
14 February 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I've updated Anki and was planning on using it, but it is no longer supporting Georgian fonts. რა გავაკეთო, მეგობრებო?
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 67 of 758
15 February 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
book2 22

მაგრამ ახლა აღარ ვეწევი. But I don't smoke anymore.
I see no word for 'not' at this sentence. Does აღარ translate as 'not anymore'?

Kiziria's 13 (I haven't skipped 12, just didn't have a specific doubt =D )

თქვენ ემილის წერილი გაუგზავნენ, არა? You sent a letter to Emily, didn't you?
I see that წერილი is the object and is in the nominative. But then why does Emily take an extra -s? Shouldn't there be a postposition attached to Emily?

=========
So, I finished Beginner's Georgian. I'm glad I've accomplished this task after so much uncertainty. I hope it at least took me from A1 to A2. I managed to learn the basics of the most used verbal tenses. I also got important vocabulary.

Now, I should decide what to do. I'm tempted to start Aronson, for which I've done two lessons previously but had little clue what I was doing. This time I browsed its page and it started to make sense. Not to mention there are several translation exercises which work very well for me, since I'm used to learning languages through Assimil.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 68 of 758
15 February 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
მაგრამ ახლა აღარ ვეწევი. But I don't smoke anymore.
I see no word for 'not' at this sentence. Does აღარ translate as 'not anymore'?

Yes, "not anymore" or "no longer".

Expugnator wrote:

თქვენ ემილის წერილი გაუგზავნენ, არა? You sent a letter to Emily, didn't you?
I see that წერილი is the object and is in the nominative. But then why does Emily
take an extra -s? Shouldn't there be a postposition attached to Emily?

Here, ემილის is the dative of ემილი. Since Emily is not a Georgian name, it is
considered as a noun ending in a vowel, and therefore the ი is not removed in the
dative. So, in the sentence, წერილი is the direct object in the nominative, and
ემილის is the indirect object in the dative, meaning "to Emily". By the way, it
should be გაუგზავნეთ.

EDIT: I think I'm right in saying that this sentence could also mean "You sent Emily's
letter to him, didn't you?", so it's an interesting example.

Expugnator wrote:

So, I finished Beginner's Georgian. I'm glad I've accomplished this task after so much
uncertainty. I hope it at least took me from A1 to A2. I managed to learn the basics of
the most used verbal tenses. I also got important vocabulary.

Now, I should decide what to do. I'm tempted to start Aronson, for which I've done two
lessons previously but had little clue what I was doing. This time I browsed its page
and it started to make sense. Not to mention there are several translation exercises
which work very well for me, since I'm used to learning languages through Assimil.

I think you will be surprised how clear Aronson seems to you now you've been through
Kiziria. Definitely give him a try as the next step.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 15 February 2012 at 10:29pm

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5040 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 69 of 758
15 February 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I agree, I tried Aronson a while ago and thought it was very complicated. But once I went through Kiziria
again, it makes perfect sense. They complement each other very well!

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5036 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 70 of 758
16 February 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I think I'm right in saying that this sentence could also mean "You sent Emily's
letter to him, didn't you?"

It could but, verb "გაგზავნეთ" requires that there should be indirect object in the sentence to show who is the letter being sent to, like: "თქვენ მას ემილის წერილი გაუგზავნეთ, არა?"

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 71 of 758
23 February 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm back from a short trip to Europe, and now it is time to go back to Georgian. I'm giving Aronson a go. Even though lessons are long, there are so many translating exercises that I think I will have enough practice.

Today's book2 was demanding. It was a lesson on speaking foreign languages. I didn't take notes not to get overwhelmed, but I'd return to it later.

I read Aronson's lesson 02 but didn't start the exercises yet. It's clear now even though there are some details. I don't remember seeing the conditional at the Kiziria's book, only optative, but it is no big deal.

I think I'm doing reverse exercises, that is, from English to Georgian, and not the way they are proposed. Will keep the Assimil approach.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 72 of 758
24 February 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
One more lesson from book2. I'm having more difficulty following the lessons, as conversations get more complicated and I don't always manage to understand how sentences are formed.

As for Aronson's, I started doing exercises from Lesson 02 the reverse way, trying to translate English to Georgian. It's been a bit frustrating though, 'coz most of the times I don't know the vocabulary, and when I do, I'm still unsure about the word order. So, I end up looking up the Georgian text before I finish doing the translation mentally, and the exercise ends up as just a transcription exercise.

I really miss a textbook like Kiziria's with a couple more lessons. I feel I was more motivated when I learned actual conversational sentences as I learned the grammar as well. I don't know what to do, maybe I should retake Hewitt's from where I stopped (lesson 4)? I would like to hear the advice from you guys experienced learners.

Edited by Expugnator on 24 February 2012 at 7:29pm

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version