Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 713 of 758
05 June 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm so happy about the ICE course! Today's dialogue was a bit hard to decypher. I listened to it three times, something I totally avoid doing! Each time I could understand a bit more, and that is so motivating! I came across the sentence "შეიძლება ერთი წუთით შეგაწუხოთ?" (May I bother you for a while?).

As for EGS, I finally finished reading Lesson 31's explanations and I hope to do the exercises on Thursday and Friday. Lesson 32 is about indirect affixes and this is a topic I have trouble with. I do hope the book will help me out.

At Natadze's I have one page to go to finish the lesson on prepositions. Still no time for reading The Lord of the Flies.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 714 of 758
10 June 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Today's audio texts at the ice.ge course were hard :/ And the exercises didn't have any
clue on understanding the dialogues. The lesson covers ordinal numbers and fractions. So,
the first text has a girl who went to the theater and bought tickets to this and that
friend at this and that row. She speaks about the theater, she says when it is open and
closed and which floor has which activities. I don't know half the words being used. I
can understand the sounds and maybe I could try transcribing the text in the hope that it
would end up as something translatable, but that would be too much work for too little
reward. I really hope next lesson has a more realistic and easy-to-follow text.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 715 of 758
11 June 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
The dialogues were a bit easier today :) I think the idea of reading the vocabulary first does help. I had read the text yesterday and it also helped as I got more free time. Besides, the exercises went back to the regular model pattern of putting together sentences from the dialogues, and I could fill more blanks.

As for EGS, I finished reading lesson 32 and now it's time for the exercises. I'll have to wait for lesson 33 to finally clear my doubts on objective affixes.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 716 of 758
11 June 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I read one more page from 'Lord of the Flies', alongside with the translation. 1 page a day is all I can do now, but I really hope it will get better. This book has a lot of dialogues, which makes everything easier.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 717 of 758
12 June 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Almost forgot to update today. I had an average-good comprehension of the dialogues at ICE.GE (already considering the hints from the exercises and questions). I hope when these boring time topics are over I will come across even more useful vocabulary. I'm quite happy about managing to come so far at a monolingual course with dialogues not written down. I got a Georgian to write down the dialogues from monday and two things were noticeable: 1) I did get almost everything correct, including the main point and 2) the blanks consisted in important words, though not essential to the comprehension but still essential for my learning process, so I'm glad I got the transcription.

As for EGS, I got one more easy/quick set of exercises, this time for lesson 32, and I could finished it in one day. With Natadze's I finished lesson XIII.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 718 of 758
13 June 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I just got an e-mail from lit.ge announcing a book from the Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho! I bought it right away (and now I only have 2,30 lari at my account :P). Now I have two books I can read in Portuguese and Georgian!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 719 of 758
14 June 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Another book was announced, but this time I'm broke! No laris left in my account. I can wait, though. It's Paulo Coelho's most popular book, O Alquimista.

I thought the time-telling season was over at ICE.GE, but today I still did one lesson on years and centuries. As for the others, pretty much the routine.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 720 of 758
24 June 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently at lesson 25 of the course from ice.ge . Considering the course is monolingual, I find it to be an achievement. Even if I don't get the whole dialogues, there is still the listening section which is fairly comprehensive, too. Today's lesson had another dialog at the reading section, apart from the 2 aural ones. I found it to be quite useful! The lessons are still aimed at boosting a beginner's vocabulary by themes, with words one's not likely to use that often, like several names of food articles and colors. Still, it's useful. I do hope it gets more text-like and situation-like again.

As for Natadze's, I almost dropped it today. I'm learning no Russian from it and the grammar explanations are repetitions of what I found at Tschenkéli's book (not to mention the ones I had already been through but couldn't understand enough because there was too much information at a time). I'll keep going as far as possible. EGS is ok, I just have one more lesson on passive to endure, I can't wait to cover the perfect screeve with Tschenkéli's, outstanding didactics, though.

Finally, The Lord of the Flies. The vocabulary is still all too alien. I still can't associate translation with original word, unless I look it up, and doing it more than 100 times is a bit too painful. I take no more than 1 page for each day and it's still painful.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version