Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 721 of 758
28 June 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I just finished lesson 29 of ice.ge . Still monolingual, understanding bits and pieces here and there, nonetheless useful! I still think it focuses too heavily on thematic vocabulary, but at least in the dialogues things are more authentic and less forced, I mean, conversations start and end normally, they don't simply move into a direction at which you can include as many supermarket or cooking-related words as possible. Natadze's book is not being that useful: the grammar being taught (in Russian) is a review from EGS and the Georgian samples aren't that helpful, except for the times when there is a sequence of sentences. I may review an old book; i may try with another source, like short news (I'm already reading a novel, 1 page each day) or I may be lucky enough to get a new reader next week!
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 722 of 758
03 July 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
So, I've dropped Natadze's book. It is not an appropriate book after all. It would be good if I knew enough Russian to understand the explanations, and if I hadn't been through the topics covered at it previously at EGS. Furthermore, the vocabulary used for the grammar are useless, too specific, typical of older textbooks. I think one has to learn grammar while one learns the most frequent words. It's useless to choose obscure words for explaining basic grammar topics.

All's fine at EGS, I just can't stand any more lessons on passive verbs. Unfortunately there is on lesson left at this topic, lesson 37. Then I go for indirect verbs and I think the rest consists of topics I will benefit enormously from.

As for ice.ge , the lessons have become too long and presenting too much vocabulary at a time. I can't understand much from each dialogue. Texts are better but still have too much specific vocabulary, like learning the voices of the animals. I don't like the way textbooks come up with unnatural texts by presenting all such vocabulary at once. Still, it's a good resource. I only regret that I'm not profiting from the time gained by dropping Natadze's because I'm using it for dealing with all the dialogues, texts and wordlists at ice.ge . It's taking me 1 hour at one single lesson!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 723 of 758
10 July 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Life is going well after I've dropped Natadze's book. I can't believe I'm about to finish the first 40 lessons of the course at ICE.GE, which they list under the A1 level. There are 30 more lessons on A2 and 30 more on B1. I'm confident about reaching B1 by the end of the course, but only because of my 1 1/2 year background. I am not much sure the final B1 lessons will make me an early B2 speaker. I am aware that there is just too much vocabulary at each lesson and, even though my grammar is levelled with the course, thanks to the other sources, I still have a long way to go.

As for EGS, it's very nice now. I'm on the chapter about indirect verbs. It's long so it may take another week or so. I don't regret taking long on it, it's an important chapter after all.

I'm reading just one page from Lord of the flies each day, but it's getting easier! I'm getting used to the various verbs of movement with their preverbs in most tenses. That makes things easier. I'm not getting much passive vocabulary but at least I'm able to figure out which words correspond to the original English for most of the sentences with relative ease.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 724 of 758
17 July 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Today I did crosswords in Georgian!! That is, I did the vocabulary exercises for the 41st lesson at the ice.ge course. It is the first lesson that corresponds to the A2 level. I'm really glad I'm keeping going with the course, it's being really helpful. If it had English translations and instructions it would be no less complete than any of those famous language books from France.

As for the EGS, I'm still dealing with the complicated issue of indirect verbs, so I'm taking my time in order to learn it well. I'm already neglecting some of the explanations on directional verbs which consist of preverbs + ყოფნა, and I expect to catch up during the exercises. Anyway, this is quite likely to be my last reference grammar in a few months. Later on I'll just report to Aronson's book when I come up with doubts on subjects I know I'll have already seen before.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 725 of 758
01 August 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I was supposed to write here much earlier, but got lost in my post-schedule activities (that is, some native materials and some extra textbooks I have been taking alternately for my languages at long, boring afternoons).

Study is going quite well, I think i'm close to forming the necessary critical mass to start taking native materials more consistently. In terms of grammar, thanks once again to Tschenkeli's book I'm finally managing to internalize teh Perfect tense!! At least, now I admit it exists and it is necessary for the language - so far I only thought "What? Another past tense just to make things harder?!". Now, thanks to the previous chapters on intransitive, indirect verbs, passive verbs, objective affixes I could see the big picture of the Perfect and the role it plays on the Georgian grammar, and it starts to make sense.

A few weeks ago I said that even if I went back to Aronson's or Hewitt's grammar at that time it would still be as if I was reading them for the first time, in the sense that I would have absorbed nearly nothing from them and wouldn't have learned much from them either. Now, thanks to my Consistent Grammar Reference + Monolingual course + Novel with translation approach I'm seeing the evolution in vocabulary and in sentence understanding. I'll just keep going and see if good news come up!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 726 of 758
07 August 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
There are some short clips of this series შუა ქალაქში at Youtube. Pity that none got subtitles, which makes things harder.

I'm starting to have the feeling for watching Georgian video, but no idea where to start, Now I should browse Tixhiidon's and zecchino's logs for their advice.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 727 of 758
08 August 2013 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I'll take it low profile and low expectations. Will bring it to the bottom of the schedule. Still, I can't help taking Georgian native medias. Be it the news items at radio tavisufleba - i got used to the speed - the sitcom i found yday with subtitles or the videos
with English subtitles (found at least two, check this URL=http://forum.ge/?showtopic=33994760]thread[/URL], ქართული ფილმები ინგლისური სუბტიტრებით. I'm sure that with some search I'd be able to find Georgian films with Georgian subtitles, but as a start the English
subtitles will do, as I can correlate them with the speech. I tried the first scene at უძინართა მზე and I could follow the conversation in both languages. That is, given that the Georgian spelling is phonetic and the pronunciation is clear, I wouldn't benefit much
from subtitles in Georgian anyway, as I can decypher the sounds thanks to the correlation with the English translation.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 728 of 758
09 August 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Here you are, the result of harvesting through Tixhiidon's log. It is impressive how
early he managed to start reading in Georgian, nefore he started having classes. I've
been studying for 1 year and eight months and I'm far from being able to read
comfortably, that is, without having to look up all words. Hope the situation changes
as I've started to fill in some native materials at my daily schedule.

Films

ნატვრის ხე
გასეირნება ყარაბახში
ჯაყოს ხიზნები (also a book?)
Documentary "Power Trip"
გასეირნება ყარაბაღში 2
გაღმა ნაპირი

Books
მზიანი ღამე by Nodar Dumbadze
ჯინსების თეობა/Flight from USSR by David Turashvili
ბოლო ზარი, by Lasha Bugadze
ოქროს ხანა, by Lasha Bugadze
იყო საღამო, იყო დილა - დავით ქართველიშვილი
დურმიშხან ბერუაშვილის პიჯაკი - ნუგზარ შატაიძე
ახალი წიგნი, by დავით ქართველიშვილი
6 სიზმარი, by დავით ქართველიშვილი
მგლები 2
მოცემულობა, by დავით ქართველიშვილი
Adibas, by ზაზა ბურჭულაძე
Maid in Tfilis - აკა მორჩილაძე
კარიკატურისტი by ლაშა ბუღაძე
ვაჟა–ფშაველა
მიხეილ ჯავახიშვილი
ილია ჭავჭავაძე
გალაკტიონ ტაბიძე
ნიკოლოზ ბარათაშვილი
გიორგი ლეონიძე
გურამ დოჩანაშვილი
გურამ რჩეულიშვილი
ჭაბუა ამირეჯიბი
იყო საღამო იყო დილა

TV
შუა ქალაქში
მელომანია
რა? სად? როდის?
ცოლის დაქალები
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-hDsuz5_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSOoAEaZLYc
იმედის გმირები
იმედის გმირი იასუჰირო კოჯიმა (F)

Radio
რადიო თავისუფლება
www.intkolisrael.com

Edited by Expugnator on 09 August 2013 at 8:31pm

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version