Ireland
Joined 5948 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 24
20 January 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

side note: I didn't even know there was a "Using Spanish" - I thought I would need to
switch to "Perfectionnement Espagnol" when I move back to Spanish. Which I might, if
I feel my French is ready. How was this course for you?

The course Using Spanish is out of print. A language bookstore I frequent still has some copies. I did about a third of "Perfectionnement Espagnol" before dropping it for other materials. I ended up learning more French than Spanish, as Spanish is my stronger language, and I found I was mostly reverse translating. My Spanish also enabled me to see how bad the English translations were. I'm not surprised it was withdrawn from publication.

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 24
20 January 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Pimsleur takes you further than A1. After you finished it, it'll be
a solid A2, if you actually did it as intended.
However, B1 to B2 is a huge gap, so which of the two could you achieve with Assimil?

I found the vocabulary too limited in Pimsleur, so for me it's definitely an "A1" course.
But I also think the boundaries between A1 and A2 (and B1 and B2) seem open to
interpretation. At least on here!

As for Assimil, I'll be 2 weeks in a francophone countries this Spring, so I'll find out.
Although I'm using multiple materials, so it's hard to isolate any one and assess its
impact.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4927 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 11 of 24
20 January 2012 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Pimsleur takes you further than A1. After you finished it, it'll be a solid A2, if you actually did it as intended.

I'd further qualify that with which Pimsleur courses. I only have experience with the 30-lesson courses. They won't get you to a "solid A2". A solid A1, yes, maybe even a very weak A2, but I don't think they'll get you to a solid A2.

The 90-lessons courses may get you further though. As I said, I only have experience with the shorter courses.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5362 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 24
20 January 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I did the Deutsche Welle placement test after I finished all 100 lessons of Pimsleur German and the Michel Thomas Foundation course and I got 96%, which put me in the A2.1 range.

The difficulty with the proposition that Pimsleur makes one a 'solid' A2 is that there are not enough words in Pimsleur's 500 or so words to do that. You need to have an active vocabulary of about 1000 to get through A2.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 13 of 24
21 January 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
I've used a lot of texts to study multiple languages, and the two Assimil texts I've used (Le nouveau russe sans peine, Le chinois sans peine tome 2) are two of my favorites. I've never used Assimil to start a language -- except for Latin and French which I did in school, every other language I've started with Pimsleur, and gone thru all three levels. But after getting started with Pimsleur, I look for a text. What I like most about the Assimil is that translation is always right there with the text. This is particularly helpful with Chinese, where some texts leave you trying to hunt down a character based on stroke count (because you don't know its pronunciation). But when I compare Assimil Russian to another Russian text I've used where the translations are poor and a lot of the vocabulary isn't in the glossary, Assimil wins handily.

Edited by Opensecret on 21 January 2012 at 7:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5105 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 14 of 24
21 January 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I did the Deutsche Welle placement test after I finished all 100 lessons of Pimsleur German and the Michel Thomas Foundation course and I got 96%, which put me in the A2.1 range.

If Deutsche Welle's placement test is the same as Goethe's, then A2.1 does not mean you're A2. A2.1 means "the 1st of 4 preparation classes for the A2 exam". You take the A2 exam after completing the class A2.4. Beginners take A1.1 and of course beginners aren't "weak A1s". If you get A2.1 in your placement test, it means you barely passed the A1 level. If you get A2.4, it means you passed the A1 level with flying colours, but are still not yet A2. The placement test is a placement-into-class test, not a placement-into-level test.

Edited by smallwhite on 21 January 2012 at 3:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5362 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 24
21 January 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Although Deutsche Welle's table doesn't go A2.1-4 but A2.1 and A2.2, your point was the point I was trying to make - Pimsleur takes you just past A1 if you do all three levels of it, but not into solid A2 territory.   

IansDad
United States
Joined 5511 days ago

28 posts - 41 votes
Studies: French, English

Message 16 of 24
21 January 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Don't wait for the active phase, start now!

I did the whole course (Spanish) and Linguaphone Spanish (1970's version) doing only the passive wave thinking more input is better--but it wasn't. My ability to produce any output was depressingly low.

I just started French with Ease and quickly began the active phase (like Luca'a method) and so far, has been very rewarding as far as production is concerned AND I believe helps in my retention of vocabulary.

I see no reason to wait.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version