Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 113 of 136
14 March 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am almost looking forward to the end. I
have loved the 6WC,
and it has done absolute miracles for my study input this time, but I am starting to
feel
like a Sunday morning 5-minute jogger, who is on her 5th consecutive marathon.

----

When does the Tadoku challenge start again? :-)

My feelings exactly. The 6WC has done wonders to my Japanese, but now I feel like I'm
running out of steam :) I'll keep doing my best for the last week, though.

What's a Tadoku challenge? I'm intrigued!

Am I the only one who would love to see a 4WC? In the two 6WCs I've participated in, I
was super motivated in the first two weeks and the last week, but in weeks 3-5 I felt
so burnt out that I couldn't get myself to care anymore. This obviously means I need to
work on my pacing, but it would be a lot easier for me if the challenge were shorter.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6963 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 114 of 136
14 March 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
Woodsei wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am almost looking forward to the end. I
have loved the 6WC,
and it has done absolute miracles for my study input this time, but I am starting to
feel
like a Sunday morning 5-minute jogger, who is on her 5th consecutive marathon.

----

When does the Tadoku challenge start again? :-)

My feelings exactly. The 6WC has done wonders to my Japanese, but now I feel like I'm
running out of steam :) I'll keep doing my best for the last week, though.

What's a Tadoku challenge? I'm intrigued!

Am I the only one who would love to see a 4WC? In the two 6WCs I've participated in, I
was super motivated in the first two weeks and the last week, but in weeks 3-5 I felt
so burnt out that I couldn't get myself to care anymore. This obviously means I need to
work on my pacing, but it would be a lot easier for me if the challenge were shorter.

Even though the challenges don't start and end at sensible dates for me, I've been more amenable anyway to working within a calendar month give or take a few days. When I was working through a short course in Inari Saami last July, it worked out quite well that I finished the course in 3.5 weeks (i.e. finished on Aug. 1). By the course's third-last chapter (about 2.5 weeks in) I was starting to get a bit worn out as the material got tougher and the notes on grammar were making less sense/becoming less useful for the assigned exercises.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4689 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 115 of 136
14 March 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
So, this is over now, right? I still see twitter being updated.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6404 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 116 of 136
14 March 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I *think* by now it's ended in all timezones. But the bot might still accept updates today (and i hope those who post them post what they did before midnight their time)

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4689 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 117 of 136
14 March 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
OK, well if it ended midnight 13 March, then I shouldn't have posted my final 20 minutes there. That means irekjank actually is #12 in total hours and I'm #13. Target hour rank isn't affected. My bad.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6277 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 118 of 136
14 March 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
OK, well if it ended midnight 13 March, then I shouldn't have posted my
final 20 minutes there. That means irekjank actually is #12 in total hours and I'm #13.
Target hour rank isn't affected. My bad.

Yes it ended. Use #undo.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4716 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 119 of 136
14 March 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
4 weeks is too short for language learning. In some ways, the difference between being able to keep up a challenge for 6 weeks and for 4 weeks is like the difference between being able to keep learning a language and just giving it up (as most of us end up doing!)

If there were changes, I'd like to see a 6 month or a 1 year challenge. That would give you the chance to really nail down a language. Most of us wouldn't be doing 2-3 hours a day then, but that would probably be a better thing. However, I am aware that we would probably get about 4 takers for a 6 month challenge, and 4 of them would drop out of it!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5141 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 120 of 136
14 March 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I am practically straight out wheezing, with swollen eyes, so I do not know if I would have the stamina for a full year - though I guess in principle, that is what the TACs are for :-)

This discussion contains 136 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version