Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
204 messages over 26 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 25 26 Next >>
Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5876 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 1 of 204
20 January 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to introduce a polyglot, whom our dear friend splog brought to my attention today. He has some very impressive videos and a really interesting range of languages too.

If you fancy checking out his channel and his videos, his handle on YouTube is PolyglotPal

Enjoy! :)
12 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5510 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 204
20 January 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for bringing him to our attention, Richard.

I subscribed to his channel, look forward to viewing his videos, and hope he makes more.

He said he lives in New York City. I saw an article which said the libraries in NYC had media in dozens of languages and were hiring multilingual librarians to serve the public better. He's in an excellent city to be a polyglot.

Edited by Michael K. on 20 January 2012 at 11:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 204
20 January 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I watched his Swahili video that he said he recorded after only 3 weeks of study, and
it's just amazing! I want to study his method.
3 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6700 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 4 of 204
21 January 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Every time I see one of these polyglots on youtube, I cannot help but think back to when I was younger (and naive) and thought that I was the only one in the whole wide world interested in learning multiple languages. I used to have to hide the fact that I was learning languages because people would think you were very, very weird if you told them that is how you were spending your time. The internet certainly has changed that perspective.

Edited by translator2 on 21 January 2012 at 5:06pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4783 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 5 of 204
21 January 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks Richard for posting this link. I discovered Tim yesterday by mere chance and talked to Luca about him today. He has an amazing range of languages, but what I like most about his videos is his enthusiasm. He REALLY seems to enjoy what he is doing and when I heard him say that he is only 16 I was totally blown away. I can't really judge his proficiency in any of his languages (maybe except for Russian), but then again I'm not here to judge but to ENJOY and boy did I enjoy his videos :-) Such an inspirational young guy! Btw, he seems to be getting a lot of praise and constructive comments from native speakers, so I guess he is doing really fine. Anyway, thank you for introducing him to a broader audience.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4738 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 6 of 204
21 January 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Yeah I have been one of his subs for a while and he is pretty great. I find it sometimes
a bit hard to believe his proficiency in such short periods of time unless he is giving a
scripted presentation, but even if it is scripted it is very impressive. His speaking
sounds just so fluid.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5037 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 7 of 204
21 January 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know his method of learning langs?
1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6033 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 204
21 January 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
He's mind-blowingly good. He MUST be a genius to be going to the University of Illinois at only age 16. I know that raw intelligence is not enough to become proficient in languages. He obviously has a real interest.

He's an exciting addition to the Youtube Polyglots.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version