russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 193 of 204
26 October 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Never wrote:
However, he simply promises more than he can deliver.

I don't think he's ever promissed anything to anyone in terms of languages. He does what he loves. And again, he's never said he was fluent in all of his languages, only 4/5 of them.

So he has 4/5 languages at a very good level, let's say other 5/6 at an intermediate level and the rest at a beginner level. He said that sometimes he studied 15/16 hours a day. That's more than you're doing, for sure.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 26 October 2012 at 5:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 194 of 204
26 October 2012 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Never wrote:

What is he promising? Is he selling a guarantee or something?

R.
==

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 195 of 204
26 October 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Midnatt (and Tim) wrote:
"I've been translating mentally everything you've said so far in Persian and German."

Arekkusu wrote:
Actually... I'd be really interested in hearing from Tim on this matter. There is no doubt that this is a great exercise... but doing it while you are being interviewed on TV? I was very skeptical when I heard him say that. Not to mention that being interviewed by Carolyn is enough to make you lose your concentration ;)

If you are used to do it I can't see why you should stop just because you are interviewed for national television ... well, maybe I can't tell - it doesn't happen that often to me. But Tim seems to be quite unfazed by the situation, and the reporter Carolyn seems duly impressed.

My point was that my experience with simultaneous interpretation is that it's a particular mode you are in -- I would personally avoid doing that while I'm being asked a question because it diminishes the attention I give the question. Similarly, if I try to systematically analyze the grammar of every question you ask me, I'll sometimes get too distracted to provide a good answer. And so for an interview on national TV, I'd give it a break.
2 persons have voted this message useful

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4244 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 196 of 204
26 October 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I don't doubt that he is dedicated to language study, but the hyperbole doesn't pass muster. Assuming 8 hours for sleep, that leaves 16 hours in the day. I really don't know anybody that can study for 16 hours straight. There is food to eat (yes, and I know that one can study while eating food), showers to be taken, bathroom break, etc, etc.

The most hard-core people (these are type-A, neurotic people) I know study 10 hours a day (we are talking actual studying, measured with a stopwatch and not, "I'm going to the library at 8AM and leaving at 6PM")

If he even dedicated 8 hours of real studying/day to languages while out of school, I would be highly impressed. That's 56 hours a week. Most people that work 40 hours/week aren't actually working 40 hours, there are distractions, etc.

fabriciocarraro wrote:
Never wrote:

I don't think he's ever promissed anything to anyone in terms of languages. He does what he loves. And again, he's never said he was fluent in all of his languages, only 4/5 of them.

So he has 4/5 languages at a very good level, let's say other 5/6 at an intermediate level and the rest at a beginner level. He said that sometimes he studied 15/16 hours a day. That's more than you're doing, for sure.

Midnatt
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4210 days ago

10 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English

Message 197 of 204
26 October 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
justonelanguage wrote:
I don't doubt that he is dedicated to language study, but the hyperbole doesn't pass muster. Assuming 8 hours for sleep, that leaves 16 hours in the day. I really don't know anybody that can study for 16 hours straight. There is food to eat (yes, and I know that one can study while eating food), showers to be taken, bathroom break, etc, etc.

The most hard-core people (these are type-A, neurotic people) I know study 10 hours a day (we are talking actual studying, measured with a stopwatch and not, "I'm going to the library at 8AM and leaving at 6PM")

If he even dedicated 8 hours of real studying/day to languages while out of school, I would be highly impressed. That's 56 hours a week. Most people that work 40 hours/week aren't actually working 40 hours, there are distractions, etc.

fabriciocarraro wrote:
Never wrote:

That's so true. When I was working 12 hour shifts at distilling fatty acids, I wouldn't work all the time. Sometimes we even went from one giant tank to another and it would take most of the time of the shift. That roughly means we were watching movies, reading, talking, drinking coffee. I personally think that if you're forcing yourself to study for long amounts of time, you'll learn nothing. It's better to study 30 minutes to 1 hour a day but regularly. Of course if something turns out to be interesting and a reason to be excited over, you'll end up learning it for hours without knowing. But even if I consider Tim to be the only child with no one to bother him, making the best environment to learn languages for longer time, he still probably couldn't learn for 16 hours straight. But still.

The people who want to impress with the quantity usually take several languages at time and rush too much. They will end up knowing nothing such as You-know-who. But if someone really is into languages and shows enough dedication to learn them for literal hours, then I'll applaud to them. Bravo Tim!!!

Edited by Midnatt on 26 October 2012 at 7:33pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 198 of 204
28 October 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
If you only study for one hour a day you won't get anywhere with a dozen or two languages at different levels competing for your time. It is up to debate how long sessions you should take with each language (and it ultimately also depends on your study methods), and languages you all have learnt fairly well take less time, but one hour a day is not much.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 199 of 204
28 October 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Personally I like to mix consistency with intensity. 30 minutes a day, regularly, is of course better than nothing at all, but whatever you're time period is, it depends a lot on what you're doing (and what you count as "studying").

In the If the Listening-Reading works... thread, Serpent said:
"My basic observation is that it's better NOT to "do something every day" if you don't have enough time to really experience flow. For LR or listening/reading separately you need flow, even if it means studying less often (but having longer sessions... and of course there are limits here). "Do something every day" is for lazy unmotivated folks." (page 2)

Tim obviously has a lot of hours to spend on his favourite subject (languages, if anyone missed that;)), and probably has an idea what to do during those hours (16 or whatever the number is). I know that I could (easily) throw in (an extra) half-hour of shadowing/L-R/reading in all of my target languages, should I not watch TV/play music/hang out with with friends/spend time on that-dreaded-thing-known-as-the-Internet.

One hour a day isn't much, as Iversen says.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4833 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 200 of 204
29 October 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
justonelanguage wrote:
I don't doubt that he is dedicated to language study, but the hyperbole doesn't
pass muster. Assuming 8 hours for sleep, that leaves 16 hours in the day. I really don't know anybody that
can study for 16 hours straight. There is food to eat (yes, and I know that one can study while eating food),
showers to be taken, bathroom break, etc.

Didn't he say he studies 15 hrs a day when there's no school? Don't
exaggerate the hyperbole. ;) Also, some people sleep less than 8 hrs a day for a number of reasons. I slept
for like 4-5 hrs many a night when I had to prepare for certain exams when I was Tim's age.

Edited by espejismo on 29 October 2012 at 12:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version