alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7008 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 201 of 204
29 October 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 

I would like to know if these count as studying?

Reviewing information mentally, listening to dialogues while on the internet, listening to target language songs and on the radio while exercising, talking out loud while walking, showering, etc..

If these count as studying, passive or active, then I see how the time has been used productively. If Tim is immersing himself, then I would say he is studying both passive and active for who knows how many hours throughout the day.

*Note:
I do not recommend listening to speech, while sleeping. Sleep deprivation is not going to help.
1 person has voted this message useful

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4249 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 202 of 204
29 October 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
He's in HS. Even with a lot of AP/IB classes, one shouldn't have to stay up late at night studying. HS is pretty easy....

Heck, people screw around in college, which is usually more difficult than high school.

espejismo wrote:
justonelanguage wrote:
I don't doubt that he is dedicated to language study, but the hyperbole doesn't
pass muster. Assuming 8 hours for sleep, that leaves 16 hours in the day. I really don't know anybody that
can study for 16 hours straight. There is food to eat (yes, and I know that one can study while eating food),
showers to be taken, bathroom break, etc.

Didn't he say he studies 15 hrs a day when there's no school? Don't
exaggerate the hyperbole. ;) Also, some people sleep less than 8 hrs a day for a number of reasons. I slept
for like 4-5 hrs many a night when I had to prepare for certain exams when I was Tim's age.

1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4778 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 203 of 204
30 October 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes I also have some sort of subtitles in my mind, while I listen to other people
speaking. But I don't feel the need to make it public on TV... Ok, let's just agree
that Tim is quite young and that he probably is delighted being in the spot.
I don't wonder why he was able to make huge progress with his languages. Just watch
some of the videos he posted, or the video with the interviewer; you'll see that he
lives in a nice house, has about 100 skateboards, iPad, iPod, iPhone, iWhatever and all
the books he wants. He doesn't have to go out for work, and he spends lots of time
studying in his free time, downloading music from the iTunes store to enjoy his new
language knowledge, and having all the nice tools that make language learning easy and
fun. I myself would love to have such premises at home too!

Tim is a dedicated learner who has enough potential to achieve even more. He's got the
right to enjoy his present fame in the media. If you have something to criticise, then
do it better! (Tarvos, you made my day!)

Same thing for Benny: First I though that he was crazy and that he just promoted
bullsh*t. But then I realised that he just wants to encourage people to learn languages
because (!). I don't think he ever intended to make a living from his undertakings. But
if he now can, then I congratulate him on that!!! His definition of fluency is quite
simple: to be able to communicate with native speakers as good as he can become. Three
months is the time to do so. He never said anything about reaching native fluency or
whatsoever; "Fluent in three months" is a challenge. Just let it be. You don't want to
buy what he sells, then leave it. I never bought anything from him, and still he
sometimes drops an email with some good ideas for me too.

I can assert with confidence that I am an experienced language learner with a bunch of
language certificates on a high level. Still I don't claim to be perfect and to know it
all. The last few months have been the best I ever had, in terms of language learning.
I learned a lot from people like Benny and Richard, I met Luca and Sprachprofi, and
also chattet with other polyglots such as Vlad, Amir, Solfrid and Fasulye. These are
the things everybody should focus on: to exchange ideas and to learn from each
other.
If you don't agree, then let it be. Don't waste energy on doing other people
down. Learn languages, love, live!

I recommend to all doubters to pull up their socks and start doing "it" better!

Edited by Mae on 31 October 2012 at 11:52am

10 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version