1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 204
02 April 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:
(...)
Tim, I also have a You Tube channel and if people post there and I'm not available, I would just not react. I'm fine with this that, if i post something, that I get no reaction. But You Tube has no function of "automatic" deletion of posts. I'm on You Tube since 2009, so I know how a You Tube channel works. I have read your post on your channel that you are in France without any internet access. My post was dated on the day that the New York Times article was published, but it's gone now. So, why??? (...)

Gee, Fasulye, you sound as if you wanted to burn him at the stake. He has not committed any crime (even if he had deleted your post) ;-)

I saw that you edited your previous posts but I still think you were way too harsh suggesting that he actually lied to you when he had already told you that he did not delete the post.

I hope Tim won't be too frustrated by some of the rather unwelcoming posts here.

(...) By the way: Welcome to this language forum! (...)

That's the way to go Fasulye ;-)

Fasulye
[/QUOTE]

Robert, you misunderstood my posts, but I hope that at least Tim understood what I meant.

My reactions were adressed to Tim. I like his videos very much and I find them inspiring and the content of my post was (which he can't see any more, because of a techncial You Tube feature) that I offered Tim to have a look at my You Tube channel as well. I am a big fan of polyglot networking and I like to have language contacts with different people no matter what their age is.

My offer to Tim is still valid, I invite him to have a look at my videos as well. But I can't influence the technical features of You Tube, that's their policy.

Tim, would you like me to repost on your channel?

Kind regards,

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 50 of 204
02 April 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
There's a radio interview with Tim on the BBC, here's the address (hopefully). They test him a little bit in French and Mandarin.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17548351

Awesome job, Tim!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5828 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 51 of 204
02 April 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:
I just think that the way she commented on his accent made her sound a bit arrogant..

really? "made her sound a bit arrogant" or she "comes across as quite self-confident"? but is that really such a bad thing?
:P
1 person has voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4761 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 52 of 204
03 April 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
[/QUOTE]
really? "made her sound a bit arrogant" or she "comes across as quite self-confident"? but is that really such a bad thing?
:P[/QUOTE]

(smile :-) I can see where you are coming from but I do think there is a difference between talking about yourself and judging others. I don't see how the way she judged his accent would make her appear self-confident. I guess this may be one of the underlying problems with so many "peer reviews": Be strict and demanding and people will think you are really good yourself. It doesn't hurt to be encouraging, does it? And I'm sure you don't have to lie to motivate people.

Just my way of looking at things though. Of course, many people will disagree and that is perfectly alright.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4761 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 53 of 204
03 April 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Rob_Austria wrote:
(...)

Fasulye

Robert, you misunderstood my posts, but I hope that at least Tim understood what I meant.

My reactions were adressed to Tim.

Fasulye[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your words but they did sound harsh to me and as for your remark that your reactions were adressed to Tim, well, you did post them in a public forum for everybody else to read and in mho those remarks did not sound very friendly. So, I consider my replying to them totally adequate.

If Tim interpreted your words differently I'm sure you'll have ample opportunities for networking. I have come to know you (even though only through posts and e-mail exchanges) as a person who is truly interested in an exchange of ideas and that is an attitude I like.

Again, the important thing is to try and help each other and keep each other motivated. I don't really care about the rest but I will keep saying what I think if the occasion arises ;-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6011 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 54 of 204
03 April 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

It doesn't hurt to be encouraging, does it? And I'm sure you don't have to lie to motivate people. [/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I hope to encourage other language learners. Language learning is a marathon, not a 100 meter dash. We all need four times as much encouragement as criticism.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 204
03 April 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
I guess I'm with Robert here. Tim's Chinese didn't fool me, but neither did the woman's English. I know it wasn't a "competition" podcast but compared to Tim, the Chinese woman must have had all the time in the world to improve her English. (How long had Tim been at it? A year?)

We can only do our best. Some people never get satisfied with the accent of second-language learners.
6 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6678 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 56 of 204
03 April 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
I will be glad when the parlor trick of learning basic grammar and stock phrases in 20+ languages and passing yourself off as a genius in the media comes to an end.

Very strange to study six-seven languages for 25 years and then hear someone claiming to speak 23 of them at the age of 16. Something doesn't quite add up. Of course, I guess someone with a basic knowledge of grammar and a vocabulary of 400-500 words can claim to speak a language and is put on the same level as someone with a vocabulary of 30,000 words and an advanced degree in a language.

People are so ready to believe in things despite common sense. Partially understandable for people who don't know how much is involved in learning just one other language, but astounding that people on this site are so easily fooled. At his current rate, he would be "speaking" 191 languages by age 30.

I don't understand the media's amazement with "hyperglots" who have made a brief, cursory study of multiple languages. It seems like it is not how well you learn languages, but how quickly and how many.

I am reminded of this video:
Seven Minute Abs

Edited by translator2 on 03 April 2012 at 1:57am

16 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version