Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6352 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 33 of 57
10 January 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
How long should it take on average an assimil learner to complete a lesson? It says 30 mins in the website, but I take about 3 hours. Not because I don't get it but because I find the pronouciation a right git, and spend hours and hours repeating it to perfection. After I have finished a lesson I can bearly speak properly.

Does anybody else do this?
1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6852 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 34 of 57
10 January 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Roger wrote:
Does anybody else do this?

That sounds like "Assimil with Pain", that's not quite the idea (I was guilty of that myself when I first tried the program). If you are finding it difficult to pronounce all the dialogs you might want to start with a basic lesson and repeat survival course and the go on to Assimil, or just try mastering the pronunciation of the exercise sentences and move on the next lesson. The key on Assimil is to keep your study sessions short, but frequent. Let's say 2-6 10-15 minute study sessions a day, depending on your schedule. After about 20 minutes you will start to lose concentration so stop and do something else. A number of members have found it useful to review the last 6 lessons first before starting the new lesson, this way master comes with repetition. Adapt the course to your liking, but if the course is a brick wall then try something else.

Edited by Farley on 10 January 2007 at 8:55am

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6352 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 35 of 57
10 January 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Thanks alot Farley, I will use your advice.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6852 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds

Message 36 of 57
10 January 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
The Log wrote:
I was wondering what it is you do in the active stages of assimil

Just speaking for myself I really don't do an active stage, just multiple passive waves. For example I'll go through a course cover to cover as fast as possible trying to take in as much as possible. When I get to the end I start over again and again until there is nothing left to improve. Apart from multiple reviews, I find diving into a couple of workbooks and authentic sources helpful.

Edited by Farley on 10 January 2007 at 8:56am

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6352 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 37 of 57
10 January 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Yes that is how I ntend to do my course, all passively and then start again translating the english text into the target language.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6852 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds

Message 38 of 57
10 January 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Roger,
Are you using Assimil for German or Italian?

Thanks,
John

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6352 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 39 of 57
10 January 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Both, although I can read italian very well, even books, newspapers etc. I have a rough time pronouncing italian and im using the italian assimil one to help with conversational speaking. grammar wise, im spot on with italian, but spend all my time trying to get near perfect pronouciation.

As for the German one, I have just started, the pronounciation is so much easier I think.

In regards to my comment on how I intend to use assimil, that is for the German one.

Edited by Roger on 10 January 2007 at 11:25am

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6352 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 40 of 57
10 January 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Rather than trying to complete assimil as fast as possible (which was my origonal plan), I have been advised to do only 4 max lessons a week. The reason being that I will assimilate the content much better than completing a lesson per day. The plus side is that I will, as said assimilate more of the language. The down side is that it will take ages to complete the assimil course.

What is anybody elses view on this?

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version