Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tarvos - TAC 2015 Pushkin/Scan

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1511 messages over 189 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74 ... 188 189 Next >>
Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 585 of 1511
23 March 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Your post up there on grammar is great, I really enjoyed it. Good luck with your
languages this week!
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 586 of 1511
23 March 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
There are many Hebrew and Yiddish loanwords in German as well:
"Mischpoke", "Massel", "Chutzpe", "meschugge", and many others which I don't recall
right now. They all have that slangy feeling you mentioned as well. I think even the
New Year's wish "Guten Rutsch!" hails from Hebrew "Rosh Hashanah".

If you're interested, there's an article in the
">German Wikipedia about it.

Are they common, though? In Dutch some of these words are considered quite normal. Most
of the words you mention are more or less the same as ours. The Hebrew words came
through Yiddish and were part of the thieves' cant at the time if I am not mistaken.
"Mazzel" is very commonly used for example.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4594 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 587 of 1511
24 March 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Some of them are somewhat extravagant (Chuzpe, Mischpoke, meschugge), while others have entered the normal colloquial language (Ische, Schickse, Maloche, Tacheles). I think in German the way of these words was: Hebrew - Yiddish - thieves' cant - regional dialects (Berlin, Ruhrgebiet) - Colloquial German.

Edited by Josquin on 24 March 2013 at 10:57am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 588 of 1511
25 March 2013 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Yeah, for us it was the Amsterdam dialect.

Back to language studies of my own, which have been a bit infrequent as of late, but
today I managed to spend time on many of my languages. I studied Hebrew and Breton and
enjoyed some Russian in the background earlier.

РУ: На русском языке я посмотрел на документный сериал о Российском народе. У нас в
стране есть известный журналист, которые раньше жили в России (в Москве). Когда
проводил он время там, он снял сериал. Сериал передавался на голландском
телевидении два или три года назад. Но, благодарен за интернет, у нас теперь можно
пересмотреть сериал, и я провел много времени просто посмотреть и слушать.

Журналист, который зовут Йелле Брандт Корстиус, снимал один эпизод сериала в Беслане.
Там он говорил с женщиной, у которой огибались дочку в течение теракта в 2004ого году.
Рассказала она полную грустную историю. Очень эмоциональный рассказ появился.

Еще в одном эпизоде, путешествовал он на поезде от Владикавказа до Москвы. Там
постарался узнать, именно так можно описать русскую душу. Встретился много интересных
людей там. Пьяные, проводница прочитав стихи Есенина, да и отец и его дочь, которые
хотели переехать в Австралии, чтобы папа мог жить со своей новой любовью. Дочь решила с
ним уехать.

На следующей неделе, у меня будет урок русского языка - для того, мне нужно еще делать
домашнее задание, которое состоится посмотреть сериал <<Светофор>>, и переводить
некоторые фраз от английского на русском языке, с особенным вниманием к
(не)совершенному виду.

Furthermore I spent time on Hebrew, doing review exercises of Unit 2. I have now
completed that unit and will move on to unit 3, which will introduce, amongst others,
the past tense. Once I've mastered that a bit, I will probably write more here in
Hebrew, mostly because it will allow me to express what I already did, instead of
saying "I do this yesterday".

I also spent some time on Breton, which was long overdue and felt because I was mucking
up my tenses something awful. But I managed two active lessons and I have already
completed the passive wave. Completed up until lesson 62, the next one is a long review
lesson so I will have to see when I have time for that.

Plans for the following week include:

- French homework
- Russian homework
- Do something with my Romanian besides Anki (going to use the Middelburg commute for
this)
- Complete some Breton lessons
- Continue with my Hebrew.

Edited by tarvos on 25 March 2013 at 12:07am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 589 of 1511
27 March 2013 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Yesterday evening and this morning I have managed to spend quite a bit of time with my
languages. I predict that the commute home will lead to an additional bit of work, but
which language is dependent on my internet connection (Hebrew or Romanian are the
options since I have both my Assimil and my Routledge course with me).

Concerning languages, I have spent my time doing the following things:

- I have written a one-page essay on working from home in French for class - we'll be
doing the final test again soon. Most of it will be next week but the oral examination
is tomorrow. Fortunately oral examinations are the ones I rarely if ever botch in
French.

- I have worked on my aspect pairs and verbs in Russian, doing a whole string of
exercises. I also leafed through those pages of the grammar that help me with aspect
choice, particularly in the infinitive with modal verbs. Once I start using aspect and
verbs correctly, it'll probably be a big improvement in my Russian. I think after that
there are some things about word order and vocabulary use that are important to figure
out, and I can always work on my stress and my pronunciation (although it's sufficient
for what it is and would not really cause trouble).

- I have done one active wave lesson of Breton. My memory of Breton vocabulary seems to
be a bit faded after not having spent enough time on it, but it's good to review this
language periodically even though I don't expect to become super-duper fluent in Breton
any time soon and have no need for it. It's one of the two "linguistic artefacts" in my
repertoire (the other one being Latin).

- I have covered lesson 31 of the Routledge course (Hebrew) which introduces the
conjugated form of the preposition et (which is actually more like a particle in my
opinion). Et usually introduces direct objects in a sentence if they are definite (or
if they are proper nouns), but it can conjugate using the pronoun suffixes to indicate
"me, you, them" etc. Fortunately the pronoun suffixes in Hebrew are always the same,
the only thing to watch out for is that the /e/ vowel turns to /o/ in most cases
(except 2nd person plural masc/fem). It also dealt with family members and
relationships.

- This morning was spent on an Assimil lesson about someone who is so indecisive in a
restaurant he ends up ordering the whole menu. The waiter indulges him with annoyed
patience...I've also added the new vocabulary to Anki, but most of the vocab in this
lesson is useless in general. "Vine leaves"? "Aigre"? I guess you have to describe
sarmale in some way but.... really?

- And I just realised that it might be fun to do something with Serbo-Croatian, but I
don't want to do any more than dabbling lest I overwhelm myself and burn out.

Edited by tarvos on 27 March 2013 at 12:08pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 590 of 1511
30 March 2013 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Another little update before I go to work in half an hour or so...

RO: Am învăț un pic de limba româna la miercuri cu Assimil. Am făcut lecției 22 și 23.
Am probleme vorbi și scria românește dar nu e prea greu a citi. Nu știu dacă încă pot
asculta foarte bine.

I have also studied some Hebrew on Thursday (and covered lesson 32, yay!) and done two
more lessons of Breton in the active wave, where I have finished up to lesson 65. (35
more to go).

BR: Diaes eo din skrivañ brezhoneg amañ...

РУ: Также, я посмотрел на сериал Светофор. Я понял смысл, но у меня тяжело получается
понимать подробности разговора. К тому же, обсуждил я эты тему в уроке и говорил много.
Еще сделал упражнение по видам на русском языке и не сделал особенно много ошибок,
согласно преподавательнице.

FR: Et j'ai fait la partie orale de mon test de français, ce qui était pas difficile du
tout, mais je n'ai jamais eu des problèmes avec la langue orale, ça fonctionne toujours
comme ça.

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4119 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 591 of 1511
31 March 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
BR: Diaes eo din skrivañ brezhoneg amañ...

Uh oh.... Au moins, tu fais mieux que moi. :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 592 of 1511
31 March 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Trugarez! N'eo ket ken diaes, met ezhomm am eus klask re gomzou evit skrivañ amañ.
N'eus ket amzer ivez. Ha ur tammig bec'h am eus ganit ar yezh, ma fell din, gallout a
ran skrivañ. Diaesoc'h eo komz brezhoneg. N'ankouaen ket an dud, ha n'eo ket posupl
bremañ mont da Vreizh evit gwelet ar vro hag an dud, klakenniñ un tamm...

Bremañ - an nevezadennoù war ar yezhioù a gomzan.

End of March Update and April Goals

Brezhoneg: I have reached until lesson 67 of the active wave. I guess 80 was too
much to ask, but I have made some steps and it was easier than expected to write that
stuff you see up there. I am making progress bit by bit and if I keep steady a bit more
with Breton I can finish this Assimil either this or next month. It's not so hard to
finish these active wave lessons so I really should do better.

Goal: Get to at least lesson 84 of the active wave.

עברית: I have managed to get up to lesson 33 of the Routledge course. Whether
that is good I don't know, but it's better than last month and I plan to spend some
more time with my Hebrew today. I think this is the next language I want to get fluency
in, although Romanian might be easier to learn. Not done anything with Assimil here
yet.

Goal: Finish unit 3 of the Routledge Course. At least. Make this language a bigger
focus.

Limba Română: Continued with Assimil. Am at lesson 23. Going a little slower but
it has less priority.

Goal: Get to lesson 35 of Le Roumain sans peine.

Русский язык: I am noticing step by step improvement in Russian. My exercises on
the perfective/imperfective aspects weren't perfect but went better than expected and
my understanding is still improving every day. I think this is the other language I
need to do well at because I will definitely need it over the summer. I want to be
comfortable enough to travel, which I can probably manage as such right now but it can
be slightly better. Just a little bit more would make me even more comfortable. And my
spoken Russian is getting better every day.

Goal: Take a few more Russian classes and keep it up. Keep watching Russian comedy
series and keep looking for audio material in Russian.

Svenska: Maintenance, pure and simple.

Goals: none.

Français: I have a final test for this semester on Thursday (which I will ace
because I always ace French tests). French is an easy language to keep up. It will
probably be important to find out whether I will continue for the April-July semester
or drop it. I might do either.

Goals: pass test.

Other languages:

German and Latin have no focus. I have played around and read about a fair amount of
languages, and I have material for Icelandic, Swahili, and Serbo-Croatian, but I will
not use them now I believe. Serbo-Croatian might be my next project.

Goals: spend some free time exploring Serbo-Croatian.

Edited by tarvos on 01 April 2013 at 12:23am

This discussion contains 1511 messages over 189 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version