Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4806 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 25
26 January 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
I think most traditional courses will do as they spend less time on conversational and "fun" activities and give you the grammar structures you'll need faster alongside with some vocabulary, rest of which you'll learn well by reading itself.

I'd say everything except for audio courses, like Pimleur, or courses with low amount of input in context, such as Rosetta Stone, will do.

For Latin, the advice above with Lingua Latina per se Illustrata was a good one. The book is based on teaching you through reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6056 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 10 of 25
27 January 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 

Karl Sandberg's books are great. They are the best courses for those who want to learn read and understand a language, not to speak it. I have the French and the Spanish ones. I am looking for the German, too.

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 11 of 25
27 January 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I started German using Jannach's German for Reading knowledge (a long time ago with an earlier edition), and I thought it was excellent. I workded on it one summer at home nights, and I had a friend who took a university-level German course that met several hours a day over the same period. When we both took the same standardized reading test, I came out higher than he did.

Longinus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4674 days ago

26 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Polish, Macedonian

Message 12 of 25
27 January 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I used both the Jannach book and the Sandberg book when I was in graduate school and learning to read German on my own. Jannach is not bad, but the Sandberg book is awesome. And no, my copy is not for sale!

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 13 of 25
27 January 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I saw the Jannach book when searching for Sandberg's German course. That's also when I found April Wilson's book.

I was figuring that using a regular course like Assimil or TYS would be enough to gain a reading knowledge of a language. I wanted to see if there were any other courses out there that focus on reading.

Thanks, everyone.

carlonove
United States
Joined 5783 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 25
28 January 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
For introductory courses, searching for "direct method" or "natural method" in the target language produces some nice results, like this old German book (in Gothic script):

Erstes deutsches Buch

Sandberg's German for Reading is very well-structured, but uses some rather dry, academic text passages. I'm mostly interested in fiction, and since I already have a good grasp of the grammar I started using parallel texts. I try to read each sentence aloud, analytically rather than extensively, although it's hard not to read silently and quickly when you realize you fully understand an entire passage. I write down some words, phrases, and sentences that I think are important in a notebook with a translation, which I carry with me and review when I have a few spare minutes. Reading this way for an hour a day has produced very good results, and helped me get over a boredom spell I was experiencing after finishing Assimil.

Something Alexander Arguelles recommends in his most recent video is to read a text in the target language while listening to the same text in your native language. I haven't tried this, but it seems geared towards increasing your reading speed, when you already have the sound of the language in your head, and not a beginner's technique. Anyone interested in this thread who hasn't already should watch Arguelles' last few videos on extensive reading.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 15 of 25
28 January 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I haven't watched Prof. Arguelles's most recent videos yet.

I'll be sure to look for "direct" and "natural" method books then.

Thanks.

nzyyang
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 6219 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 25
03 February 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Someone has uploaded the pdf files of German for Reading