Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4820 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 17
02 March 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Japanese doesn't use question marks at all. (Aside: I don't know that it uses exclamation marks, either.) The language is coded with the question particle, so it doesn't use punctuation to reinforce it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Billy Bob
Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 5069 days ago

48 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Turkish

Message 10 of 17
02 March 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Why does Spanish have the inverted question and exclamation marks? Are there other languages that have these?

The inverted versions were first recommended by the RAE in 1754, but were slow to be adopted. In informal situations, they tend to be dropped. I've heard about Galician using both inverted marks, and apparently the inverted question mark is sometimes used in Catalan in front of long or ambiguous phrases, according to this.

Edited by Billy Bob on 02 March 2012 at 6:56pm

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6445 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 11 of 17
02 March 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Japanese doesn't use question marks at all. (Aside: I don't know that it uses exclamation
marks, either.) The language is coded with the question particle, so it doesn't use punctuation to reinforce it.

That's not entirely true. They don't use the question mark when a sentence end in the interrogative particle -ka,
but for the lower registers where -ka is not needed and questions are only indicated with a rising tone, a question
mark is used.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4820 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 12 of 17
02 March 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, hampie. As I am still relatively new to Japanese and have concentrated more on formal language, I missed this detail.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5012 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 17
03 March 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
The greatest importance of punctuation signs stemmed from their capturing and reflecting speech features that written language had failed to so far. In that sense, 'proper' English, or anything else where turning a statement into a question swaps words around instead of simply altering the intonation, is in less need of questions marks than for example Spanish -- intonation is all too often the only difference between statements and questions there. While we are at it, Spanish sentences are usually longer than their English counterparts, so the opening question mark is actually more helpful than the closing one to get the intonation right without the need to read too far ahead.

Interestingly enough, the more obviously useful something is the later somebody comes up with it.

Edited by mrwarper on 03 March 2012 at 12:14pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4964 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 14 of 17
20 March 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
I think Classical Chinese used 耶.
but I don't know if it's not just some ancient question particle.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6445 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 15 of 17
20 March 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
I think Classical Chinese used 耶.
but I don't know if it's not just some ancient question particle.

One might think they they sometimes wrote questions in a way they would normally not ask them if speaking, just
to show, in writing, that it is indeed a question.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 17
21 March 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
The only one of my languages which doesn't use the 'normal' question mark is Greek, where something like a semicolon ; is used instead. Conditioned from many years with ? I think the semicolon thing looks somewhat underwhelming, so my defense technique is to make the lower half larger so that the whole thing almost looks like an inverted Spanish ¿

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version