Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4975 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 11
22 January 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I am going to study Journalism and International Relations this year, and plan to study
two languages as well. I am in Australia. I initially chose German and French, but I
thought it might be better to have one European and one Asian language, so I am thinking
of doing German and Japanese.

Any thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 11
22 January 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Unless you plan to report from aboard a 747 stuck incessantly travelling between a German and Japanese speaking locales, why would you want to split yourself up in this manner.

For the job prospects, I'd at least narrow down where you want to be on the globe and then pick the languages.
As far as linguistic wanderlust, you can always pursue your interests on your own.

Keeping your linguistic options open might be wise, but you will have to specialize anyway, as my naivete tells me one would be hard pressed to keep up a full-time journalistic career spanning continents.
2 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 3 of 11
22 January 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
What languages are important in Australia? Which ones are offered at your university? Which countries always make the news?

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 4 of 11
22 January 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
According to Bloomberg, these are the most important languages for business, in order. Take this list with a grain of salt.

Mandarin
French
Arabic
Spanish
Russian
Portuguese
Japanese
German
Italian
Korean
Turkish
4 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4754 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 5 of 11
23 January 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I'd say send a quick email to the newspapers for Australia and ask them which languages they encounter most, it cant do any harm. Then simply see if you like those languages. Although do expect to wait a week or two, as I have found in the past, they generally take quite a while to get back you you.

With regards to international relations - I would assume a large amount of languages would come into play in that role. Are languages offered as part of the modules on this course? As you could also use that as a guideline for your choice.

Furthermore, with Australia being positioned rather near China, Japan etc I would say an Asian language would be a great choice and even if you eventually choose not to go into journalism, those languages would no doubt come in handy.

But if all else fails, do as sOfist said and simply find where you want to be on the globe and choose your languages from that.

mjhowie1992
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4975 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 11
23 January 2012 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I have a lot to consider. I'm leaning heavily towards Japanese with German now. I think
the two will be good for me so I have grounding in both Europe and Asia. I'm a bit worried
about Japanese though because I will have to start in 2nd year Japanese because I've
already studied Japanese at High School. It's been a whole year since I've studied
Japanese, so I'll have to brush up a lot!

Thanks everyone for your help, and wish me luck!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4697 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 7 of 11
23 January 2012 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Ask first where is the news happening?

Middle East: Arabic, Persian, the Central Asian languages.
Latin America: (Spanish Portuguese)
Any variety of possibilities in Asia, depending on what section you want to go.

French. If you want to choose another IE language from Europe, I say French. A lot of
people speak it still as second or third language.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5880 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 8 of 11
23 January 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
mjhowie1992 wrote:
... I am thinking
of doing German and Japanese....

German and Japanese are two difficult languages (I know!) and it would be very difficult to master both and study for journalism at the same time!

European journalism will be more competitive than Japan in any case. Here in Germany (and probably in France, too) journalists come into the field knowing German, French, English, Spanish, possibly Russian. Watching French and German television I see bilingual journalists all the time who are Italian/French, British/German, French/Spanish, etc. Judging from what they do it seems to me that the best thing is to pick one language and become really good at it.

Japan is probably your biggest news-making neighbour(?), but the biggest languages in journalism have to be Arabic and Chinese, since the journalists who are native to these languages probably don't write English as well as the speak it. That might be a profitable niche!

Edited by Sunja on 23 January 2012 at 11:03am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version