22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 22
23 March 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Gallo1801 wrote:
And, living in Spanish as much as possible, and the active avoidance of English when
possible (correspondence with loved ones and us related business obviously yes). Museum has a guide? Take the Spanish one. And God help me to read Wikipedia in
Spanish, but sometimes the articles are just better in English! #firstworldproblems
This is very important ♥♥♥
As for Wikipedia, try German, they have this reputation, you know :) But yeah I'd feel guilty a lot if English was my native language :D Kinda lucky that the Russian wiki isn't anywhere near as good:D

Good luck with your studies<3 It's great that you've not stopped improving your Spanish despite being fluent<3
1 person has voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 10 of 22
20 April 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Bueno, mis estudios en Croata siguen pero más lento que quisiera. Para realmente
entender los textos para mi clase de literatura, he comenzado leer algunos capítulos a
la vez subrayando las frases o palabras que no sé, buscándolas en el diccionario, y
luego leyendo el texto de nuevo. He econtrado que este me ayuda muchísimo con mi
acumulación de vocabulario, aunque es un proceso largo. Además me siento muy capaz
porque solo subrayo tres o cuatro palabras cada página. Voy a mirar dos nuevas series
también que encontré esta semana: Perdidos en la Tribu, que es un reality show de tres
familias de España que tratan vivir entre varias diferentes tribus y la que pueda durar
más que las otras ganará un premio. También empecé mirar American Horror Story. Es
doblado en castellano, y quise mirarla en EEUU sin éxito y ahora tengo acceso y una
excusa. Tuve ganas de sentare para el DELE C2 en Mayo, pero creo que para endulzar mi
español un poco más, voy a esperar para noviembre al menos. Podría tomar el C1 mañana
pero para alcanzar el C2 que es un nivel distinto de los demás necesito refrescar mi
gramática.

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 11 of 22
24 April 2012 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Continuando con mi lección de 'El Árbol de la Ciencia' hoy, encontré un montón de
palabras que no conocía. Por ejemplo: iracundo, barquinazo, bochorno, almazara,
corralillo, y membrudo. Yo sé que no son muy cotidianas, y solo subrayo las que
realmente no puedo adivina lo que significan del contexto. Eso está ayudándome mucho
porque 50% del tiempo que no creo que sé una palabra, puedo adivina el sentido al menos
aunque no sé la traducción. Suelo no traducir palabras cuando leo, pero a causa de ser
un texto para una asignatura, he decidido que sería servible para mi nota. Y, además,
soporta la aplificación del vocabulario.

Regarding Croatian, I downlownded Anki this morning and have been putting my words onto
there. I think I am going to like it as much as a lot of the people on the web and here
on HTLAL. Zdravo a Laku Noć!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 12 of 22
06 May 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Got the email for the Duolingo Beta test! It's actually good for a free online
program, and I like the fact that it has a social means to it (google the TED talk;
it's the brainchild of the founder of Captchas) So now I've done a few lessons in
German.

I went to Lisbon last week. Bought a Spanish/Portuguse phrasebook. Observations: The
Portuguese definitely know English better than the Spanish. If you speak slow Spanish
and they speak slow Portuguese you can actually communicate quite well. The think
about sounding like a Slavic language instead of a Romance is very true. It was way
more different sounding than the Brazilian Portuguese I've heard. I still plan on
learning the Carioca or Paulista version of Portuguese, but I really enjoyed Lisbon and
definitely plan on spending more time in Portugal.

Had some Poles over the over day for a party at our flat and I tried to speak drunken
Croatian to them. They were like, "no, that's Russian! No it's Slovak! And that was
Czech!" it was funny.

Supplies Shopping:
I plan on getting the Assimil programs for Basque, Catalan, and French with the Spanish
base while I'm here. Will use the French soon, but just getting the other two for way
down the road, but figured theyd be easier to find in Spain. Also want to get a few of
the French base ones depending on my budget for the future, depending on whether
they're cheaper here: Brazilian Portuguese, Croatian, Romanian, Turkish. Plan on duing
the German program in English, but I can get that back in the US.

Doviđenja!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 13 of 22
23 May 2012 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
So today I just got back from a long weekend to Budapest. I have never had any exposure
to the language, but I was aware of it's Finno-Uralic family ties. I took an hour long
class for tourists (on my last day, stupidly enough) I've never been to Paris, but the
moniker "Paris of the East" seems very true. I was captivated by it.

Needless to say, I really want to learn Hungarian now...

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 22
23 May 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Gallo1801 wrote:
So today I just got back from a long weekend to Budapest. I have never had any exposure
to the language, but I was aware of it's Finno-Uralic family ties. I took an hour long
class for tourists (on my last day, stupidly enough) I've never been to Paris, but the
moniker "Paris of the East" seems very true. I was captivated by it.

Needless to say, I really want to learn Hungarian now...

Yes, that language can do that to you >:-) (as if smokin' hot Hungarian chicks aren't enough of a reason, hehe).

I take it that you had a good long weekend there. It's odd though. I've heard that moniker only for Bucharest. Yet it's not that Budapest isn't up to snuff. Jeeze, I'd take it over Bucharest any day after having been in both cities.

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 15 of 22
29 June 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Croatian just won't stick it seems like... But it's getting 'stickier' haha. Which is
good, because I leave for Istria in 5 days. I was not aware of the complexities of
Slavic languages. Even after studying Arabic, they seem complext. I've done lessons
1-4 in TY Croatian and am trying to internalize everything. I also found the GLOSS
softwear, which will add a nice bit to my studies. (other online resources for Croatian
are lacking). I'm finally getting a handle of the nom/gen/acc/dat cases and genders.
SO MUCH INFLECTING.

Hotel je lijep. 
Hoteli su lijepi. 
Živim u hotelu lijepom.  
Žive u hotele lijepim. 
Vidiš li hotel lijep? 
Vidite li hotele lijepe? 
Pošta nije daleko od hotela lijepog. 
Pošte nisu daleko od hotela lijepih. velik

Škola je velika.
Škole su velike.
Jesam u školi velikoj. 
Jesu u škole velikim.  
Vidiš li školu veliku. 
Vidite li škole velike. 
Hotel nije daleko od škole velike. 
Hotel nisu daleko od škole velikih.

Took me a bit to come up with this list, but it's a start. I'm trying to remind myself
that making mistakes is fine at this point, but it's such a key part of understanding
what's being said that it's more of a problem then say confusing genders and
pluralization in French.

Laku Noć!

PS- ordered Assimil Francés sin esfuerzo, German with ease, and Catalán sin esfuerzo.
Plan is of now to do French completely by end of fall semester and the German during
Spring.

Edited by Gallo1801 on 29 June 2012 at 5:08am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 22
29 June 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Croatian is not a Romance language :) So adjectives come before nouns.
"ljepih hotela" also looks very suspicious to me but I can't look it up right now.

Great to see you post about Croatian!!! ♥ Sretno:)

Edited by Serpent on 29 June 2012 at 1:44pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version