United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5188 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
23 January 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I am planning to start actively learning Turkish (rather than just flirting with it) in the next few weeks.

I was wondering what other TACers out there are also learning Turkish. I don't want to start another team, but it'd be nice to see the hurdles and the progress that other Turkish learners experience.

How long have you been learning Turkish, and what level are you at? What inspired you to learn Turkish?

I have always been interested in it, primarily because of the culture and history, but also because it seems like such a different and fascinating language. I have another friend who is learning it as well, so that's probably why I am deciding to pick it up now rather than waiting another year or two.

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4923 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 9
23 January 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I'm not doing Turkish TAC (only Georgian), but I can tell you my experiences with Turkish.

It's a language I've fallen in love with - something I haven't been able to say about a language since I learned Italian.

I started learning Turkish last year, with no prior experience with the language. The first thing I used was Pimsleur Turkish (30 lessons). It was a pretty good introduction for me and got me used to pronunciation and basic grammar. It goes over basic present, past, future, and two other tenses called ablitative and wide. It covers vowel harmony pretty well, as well as several postpositions.

From there I went on to Teach Yourself Turkish. It's a decent course, but about half way through the book, it can get overwhelming (it throws a ton of grammar at you in a very short amount of time). I also took a look at the FSI course , volumes 1 and 2. I really didn't use it for anything else except the drills, as I'd already covered all the grammar in the course. (I'd also looked at a couple other courses, but those three - and really the first two - were what got me "over the hump" so to speak and could then branch out and use other media.)

With those courses under my belt, I've now started in with Yeni Hitit, which is an all-Turkish course in 3 volumes that is aimed at those who've emigrated to Turkey. So far, it looks like a fantastic course, and I'm picking up a ton of vocabulary that I wasn't exposed to in the other courses.

Aside from the many courses available, there's no shortage of online media to watch and listen to. Both Kanal D and CnnTürk have live streaming, so it's easy to fall into a pattern of watching certain programs, such as serials, games shows or the news.

There's really a lot of resources out there to help you. Good luck with your Turkish studies! It's a fascinating language, culture, people and country.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 9
23 January 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning Turkish and am a total beginner. I'm more or less playing around in it right now. I won't start to pick up steam until I'm finished with French in June.

Most of my experience is in dealing with German-Turk ESL learners. I'd like to learn their language, and I know it will take some time for me to get good enough to converse with them (or anyone). Gaining "speaking access" to the German-Turkish sub-culture is tricky. The kids in my classes sometimes act nervous when asked to speak outside of their normal circles, so I try not to embarrase them.

Right now my usage is limited to the small amount of vocabulary which I use when someone asked me the meaning of an English word. For example someone will ask, "Was ist toothpaste" and I say diş. That's as close as I can get to toothpaste!

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5675 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
23 January 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
My main goal and only TAC language for 2012 will be German.

However, I'm also studying Turkish and Korean. In both cases, at a very slow and easygoing pace.

In Turkish, I'm using Mango and Busuu, besides two grammar books.

I'm a total beginner. Turkish was in my wish list, because it is the main language of the altaic family. I really like agglutinative languages and vocal harmony, Turkey is a place I would definitely visit and I enjoy how it sounds. These are some of the reasons. However, the reason to start it right now was beacause I decided to test some methods.

In Korean, I'm still learning the sounds and the letters, and it seems that this is going to stay this way for some more time.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6949 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 9
04 March 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
*cue start of Public Service Announcement*

I recently stumbled upon a big collection of resources (videos, transcripts, learning plans) from Five Colleges (Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) that was just too good to keep in relative anonymity in my log or the "Links and Resources" sub-forum. I think that the links could be handy for any of you want some practice with L-R or to see and hear the language as used in basic situations (certainly more focused than looking on YouTube)

For your purposes, here are the links to the material in Turkish

*cue end of Public Service Announcement*
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 9
04 March 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Considering that Turkish online materials are few and far between, this is a great find! Thanks!

I've been trying out the dictation excercises this morning and it's a lot of fun. Some of the sentences are a bit funny like "My boss is very handsome", "My wine is warm", but hey, you never know when such sentences may come in handy!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6949 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 9
21 July 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
*cue start of (another) Public Service Announcement*

I recently stumbled on a big collection of texts from Logos that was just too good to keep in relative anonymity in my log or the "Links and Resources" sub-forum. I think that the links could be handy for any of you who want some practice with L-R or to have another source of texts in your target language(s).

For your purposes, here are the links to the material in Turkish.

Click on the row of letters above the titles to get texts whose title starts with that letter. Texts with accompanying audio have a little blue speaker beside the title.

*cue end of Public Service Announcement*

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version