United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6431 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 17
25 January 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
And see, for me as an English/Spanish speaker, the distinction is natural and obvious, even though there's some overlap. For me, wash is a subset of clean, but clean is not a subset of wash. You can clean something without washing it (dusting, for example, is a rather dry, washless activity), however you cannot wash something without it being cleaned. I understand that this is not true in practice (my old laundromat is proof positive of that), but semantically it's the relationship I have formed in my head.

Same thing with lavar and limpiar in Spanish.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5516 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 10 of 17
26 February 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
In Polish you would use the word "myć". You can "myć" hands, teeth, hair, a car, floor and so on and so forth. I never realised that before :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 12 of 17
26 February 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
Not surprisingly, Dutch has pretty much the exact same words; wassen, schoonmaken

I had a different reaction. I was just mentioning this to my wife. I said that I thought Dutch was much like the Argentinean language, in that it has "wassen" but that "schoonmaken" was really a made-up verb for "to make clean" and not quite a totally unique verb for "to clean". I know this is splitting hairs, but there may have been a time when there was only one Dutch/German word for this, "wassen". As the Germanic tribes became more civilised, they started to worry about being "clean".

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 17
26 February 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
In Polish you would use the word "myć". You can "myć" hands, teeth, hair, a car, floor and so on and so forth. I never realised that before :)
Does it imply water? The Russian cognate does.
Seems like in both languages the word soap is derived from this root.

(in Russian it works for everything you mentioned except teeth:D)

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5516 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 14 of 17
26 February 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
I had to think long and hard about it, but you're right, it does imply water. Anything dry you would "czyścić", very similar to the Russian word already mentioned in this thread.

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4454 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 15 of 17
17 March 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Moving outside IE, here's a nice website with verbs of cleaning in Thai:

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/housetalk-learn-basic-th ai-cleaning-instructions/

The main distinction seems to be between laang (high tone) for washing hands, plates etc, and sak (high tone) for clothes. Notice that there is a special verb for washing your hair - I wonder if this is because it's associated with the head? (This is sometimes a significant distinction in Thai.) The most likely translation for "clean", however, would be the phrase "tham khwaam sa-aat" or literally "make cleanliness".

Generally this is a hot and sticky country, and many Thais seem obsessed with keeping clean, so I'm not surprised that they have developed this vocabulary. A little like eskimoes and snow?

Edited by viedums on 17 March 2012 at 3:49am

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5334 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 17
17 March 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Romanian has the distinction: "a spăla" for washing, "a curăţa" for cleaning.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version