United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5076 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 12
31 January 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
lol No, Rosetta Stone for me! Nope, too expensive! I'm going the $40 courses, textbooks, podcasts and hardwork route. Thanks for the AJATT link! I visited AJATT awhile ago but never took the time to really explore it. I just looked at it again thanks to your post. From what I've just seen on his site, FULL IMMERSION may be EXACTLY what I need. Thanks!

Edited by dearwanderlust on 31 January 2012 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 10 of 12
31 January 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
2 additional Spanish links:

http://albalearning.com/

http://www.spanishpodcast.org/

Edited by dearwanderlust on 31 January 2012 at 10:03pm

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 11 of 12
31 January 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
TEN MORE EXCELLENT Spanish-LANGUAGE FILMS
(from http://www.epinions.com/content_4010320004?sb=1):

#1. Talk to Her (2002)
Pedro Almodóvar is well known for daring and unconventional films. He likes to explore ambiguities of gender and to challenge conventional thinking about gender stereotypes and sexual morality. He has also exhibited a steady progression in the depth of issues that he explores. Talk to Her explores the range of human responses to loss and how we deal with a loved one dying or lapsing into a prolonged coma. Be advised that there is one sexually explicit segment, though cartoon-style in character.

#2. The Official Story (1985)
Luis Puenzo’s film The Official Story (La Historia Oficial) won the !985 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. Based on actual events occurring during the 1970’s in Argentina, this film delivers a political statement that is both intensely searing and dramatically engaging. Norma Aleandro won the Best Actress Award at Cannes in 1985 for her tour-de-force performance as Alicia. The story concerns a woman who discovers that her adoptive child may have been stolen from a political prisoner.

#3. Los Olvidados (1950)
This film deals, in Buñuel’s unique style, with the despair of poverty and abandonment in the slums of Mexico City. The protagonist, Pedro (Alfonso Mejia), a boy of about eleven years of age, is wavering on the edge of delinquency. He must deal with the influence of Jaibo (Roberto Cobo), an escapee from reform school, who is older, tougher, more street savvy, and something of a sociopath. Will Pedro emerge into a better life or be ground down by the poverty into which he was born?

#4. Cria! (1975)
Cria is an exceptionally touching portrayal of the inner turmoil of childhood. It is both psychodrama and political allegory. Ana (Ana Torrent) is an inquisitive, angelic girl and the middle of three sisters. She awakens in the early part of the night and hears her father having a heart attack while in the midst of a tryst with his best friend’s wife, Amelia (Mirta Miller). Ana, who had previously lost her mother, is now orphaned. Small wonder that she becomes somewhat obsessed with death. The scenes in this film depicting the three sisters playing together in their own unique world of make-belief are among the most touching portraits of childhood in cinema.

#5. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
This film from Pedro Almodóvar is pure farce – racy and up-to-date. It received the best picture award in Spain in 1988 and a nomination for the Best Foreign Film category at the American Academy Awards. Pepa, an actress, is distraught over being summarily dumped by her lover Ivan. She is in a frenzy, wanting some closure, at least, on the relationship. Pepa whips up a batch of gazpacho laced with barbiturates. Meanwhile, Ivan’s ex-wife has gotten out of a mental institution after a twenty year stint and has revenge on her mind. Pepa’s best friend, Candela, has just discovered she’s been living with Shiite terrorists. Ivan’s son, Carlos (Antonio Banderas) shows up looking to sublet Pepa’s apartment. Soon the flat is littered with unconscious cops, friends, and a telephone repair man and it’s up to Pepa to stop the jealous ex from killing Ivan at the airport. You get the idea!

#6. Belle Epoque (1992)
This is a good old-fashioned fun film. Fernando, a deserter from the Spanish army, meets Manolo and cooks him a sumptuous meal. In the morning, Manolo takes Fernando to the train station where his four daughters are arriving from Madrid. One by one, the four daughters disembark from the passenger car and each is more stunning than the last. Poor Fernando is seduced by one after the other, each time believing that he has found his one true love. There are plenty of laughs along the way.

#7. Tie Me Up! Time Me Down! (1990)
Ricky is a 23 year-old hunk, well-built, handsome, sincere, with penetrating eyes. He’s been secretly in love with Marina for three years. He wants to be the best husband he can possibly be for Marina and a wonderful father for her children. Oh, and he’s so good in the sack that he makes women weep. There’s just one problem. Ricky’s idea of a first date is to break into Marina’s apartment and tie her up until she gets to know him well enough to fall in love. Otherwise, he’s a terrific guy. What is poor Marina to do?

#8. Nine Queens (2000)
This is one of those films about con-artistry in the manner of, say, The Sting (1973) or The Grifters (1990). It has more twists and turns than a whirling dervish. Whatever you think is going on isn’t and just as you think you’ve figured out one twist, the floor drops out from under your feet and you fall to another level. Set in Buenos Aires, this film will keep you guessing until the very end.

#9. El (1952)
Luis Buñuel produced this film about psychological torments during his prolific Mexican period. It’s style is reminiscent of the suspense dramas of Alfred Hitchcock. For Don Francisco, it is love at first sight when he spies the beautiful face of Gloria. Even the fact that she is presently engaged cannot stop the determined Francisco from wooing and winning her. No sooner are their marriage vows uttered than Gloria begins to discover that Francisco is not quite the person she imagined. He is consumed by unquenchable jealousy. As his delusions and paranoia escalate, Gloria’s situation becomes increasingly precarious.

#10. Tristana (1970)
Tristana (Catherine Deneuve) is in her early twenties when she is made a ward of an elderly aristocrat, Don Lope. Though politically liberal, Don Lope is both a hypocrite and a blatant sexist. He seduces Tristana and becomes jealously possessive of her. Tristana soon discovers the courage to step out in rebellion and meets and runs off with a handsome young artist. Two years later, Tristana returns, having developed a tumor in her leg, which must be amputated. The deeply embittered Tristana now has no choice but to live with the lecherous Don Lope, awaiting her opportunity for revenge.
http://www.epinions.com/content_4010320004?sb=1http://www.epinions.com/content_4010320004?sb=1http://www.epinions.com/content_4010320004?sb=1

y mas peliculas en espanol:
María llena eres de gracia
Yo, la peor de todas
La historia oficial
Viridiana
Nueve Reinas (Argentina)
La Lengua de las Mariposas (España)
Amores Perros (México)
Hable con Ella (España)

Edited by dearwanderlust on 01 February 2012 at 4:56pm

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 12 of 12
01 February 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Today is the first day of the Feb. 12 6wc and I'm off to an okay start. I've registered only 15 minutes but I'm very pleased with the quick lesson I chose. I actually learned a bit from it. My goal is to actually LEARN not just increase in rank.

I understand I need to read what I'm listening to so I'm not very much interested in doing Pimsleur anymore. BUT, I do plan on having Spanish in my background AT LEAST whenever possible throughout the timespan of the 6wc.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version