United States
Joined 4847 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
25 January 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Hey,

So, I am confused by two modes I like to learn in: One, is the learn everything in context and then go from there. The other, is to go through the books and learn what they offer you like a meal. So, with these 500/750 "TL" Verb books, how do you all use them and/or recommend I/people use them in language learning? I mean, they are a lot to handle and are many verbs, so one can get confused or even discouraged because they are just learning these things in context. Any advice?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

ihaveacomputer
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6631 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 2 of 8
25 January 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I tend to mine these books for sentences to input into my SRS program. It's quite useful
for learning idioms and recognizing irregular verb forms.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 8
25 January 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I think there are two types of verbs. First are either basic, and you need them from the begining, or they serve as a pattern for others. Second are verbs as vocabulary which have little or no irregularities from the patterns.

I think learning the patterns from a verb book/grammar book/table in your textbook is a much faster process which will allow you to actively use the verbs sooner.

The rest is just a bit upgraded vocabulary so it is perfectly learnable from context in my opinion.

So, I think the best is the combination of both approaches. What I consider important is doing a lot of exercises. From the fill in blanks (and srs memorisation) to translation exercises and creating your own sentences soon. If you lack exercises, you could be fine if you were learning a language without conjugations but for exemple your Russian is not such a language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vikavictoria
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 8
27 January 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Thanks, all

oldstoker
United Kingdom
Joined 4259 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 8
09 September 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
I personally have found that the best way to use such resources is with flashcards. Write
the infinitive on one side and then the various conjugations you need to learn on the
other. This has certainly helped me when dealing with some of the more irregular German
verbs.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 8
09 September 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I choose the form to learn (I usually don't learn several forms of one verb in the same session), google it, find a cool example and add several cards to Anki: the original sentence without gaps and several cards with gaps (or just one if there's only one thing I want to test). Those with gaps are in the format that has you type the word manually.

Edited by Serpent on 09 September 2012 at 3:48pm

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 8
09 September 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
ihaveacomputer wrote:
I tend to mine these books for sentences to input into my SRS program. It's quite useful
for learning idioms and recognizing irregular verb forms.

This is how I like to use the 750 X Verbs and Their Uses books, as a source for sentences for SRS. As for the 501 X Verb series, apart from teaching related words in a word family, they make nice doorstops.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6954 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 8
09 September 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
vikavictoria wrote:
Hey,

So, I am confused by two modes I like to learn in: One, is the learn everything in context and then go from there. The other, is to go through the books and learn what they offer you like a meal. So, with these 500/750 "TL" Verb books, how do you all use them and/or recommend I/people use them in language learning? I mean, they are a lot to handle and are many verbs, so one can get confused or even discouraged because they are just learning these things in context. Any advice?

Thanks

I've used these as references rather than a source of exercises/drilling and I've never been able to use these for anything else (maybe I'm just not creative enough). In general I've been taught verbs in my foreign languages by having them divided into some category dependent on which pattern that they follow in present tense. Indirectly this follows somewhat the layout of these kinds of books since they too tend to organize or link verbs to some model verb that illustrates the conjugation. For the record I have such books for French, German, Polish and Russian (I got the last one because I found it cheap and have it just in case I ever set out on learning the language)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version