11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5249 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
25 January 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
What languages out there are mostly about learning vocabulary? Languages without gender ( or where gender is easy to figure out) and where there are no declensions or conjugation(or where it is very easy to figure out and regular.) Are there any natural languages out there like this? Languages with a few irregularities are okay too, but the fewer the better.

Edited by Dylanarama on 25 January 2012 at 8:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5066 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 2 of 11
25 January 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I know about only one (I'm typing in it right now), but as far as I know Chinese also has little or no conjugations.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5118 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 3 of 11
25 January 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Try Cantonese. Mandarin is similar, but I think Cantonese grammar is easier.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 11
25 January 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I would say just about any language that's far away from your native tongue (meaning a different language family.)

You'll spend more time on vocabulary simply because there just aren't that many cognates in an unrelated language.

R.
==

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5593 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 5 of 11
26 January 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Some linguist or other (I think maybe John McWhorter) once wrote that most languages
either provide the obstacle of tones (e.g. Chinese languages) or that of declensions
and gender etc.

Creoles often (always?) develop from pidgins but are actually fully-fledged
languages (you can express complex thought in them) but without all the unnecessary
crap like arbitrary gender that most languages accumulate over time. Hence my
suggestion: Tok Pisin (the vocab is largely derived from English too, it's fascinating-
if only there were decent resources for learning it I'd start in a heartbeat!).

I think I read somewhere that Indonesian fits your description too, but I'm not sure.

Anyone fancy petitioning Assimil for a Tok Pisin course ha ha?

Edited by Random review on 26 January 2012 at 12:54am

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 11
26 January 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Just because a language doesn't make extensive use of conjugation or declension doesn't mean it doesn't still have a complex grammar that needs to be learned. English and Mandarin have both been mentioned, but I'd say both are excellent examples of languages whose complexity of idiomatic grammar fully compensates for any simplicity in conjugation or declension. Of course, all languages have their idiomatic peculiarities that would render otherwise-correct phrasing to be perceived as incorrect, but often the learning curve imposed by aspects like conjugation and declension actually provides a supportive structure that renders subsequent use of the language more intuitive and manipulable, whereas in languages in English and Mandarin, you often just need to straight-up learn how each particular idea is (arbitrarily) expressed.

As mentioned above, formal Indonesian might be a possibility, but be prepared to completely relearn the language if you ever want to use it on the streets.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
26 January 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Indonesian pretty much fits your description, yes.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6430 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 8 of 11
26 January 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Although it does have gender, Norwegian grammar is otherwise fairly close to English. The verbs don't conjugate for person or number. The tenses are formed in a similar manner to English. The verbs that are irregular are mostly the same ones that are irregular in English. The nouns don't decline. They just have singular/plural and definite/indefinite, which is very easy. Even the vocabulary isn't so bad since there are quite a few cognates. The only problem is that you can learn it fairly well and when you come to Norway, still understand nothing if you end up in a place with a strange dialect.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version