nazehner
United States
Joined 4741 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 32
19 March 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I recently completed all 4 levels of Pimsleur Spanish and the Plus series. I did the
course as follows:

I listened for 1 hour each day, thus two lessons a day. I repeated each lesson 4X, thus
it took my two days to get through a lesson. After I completed the course, I listened
through the entire course one more time, listening to each lesson only one time.

This final run-through of the course allowed me to review and refresh what I had
learned on earlier lessons. You listen to each lesson 5 times, thus all four levels =
300hrs of study.

I have mastered everything that is contained within these courses using this approach
and I speak fluently without having to think because I have spent so much time with
this content.

Really good stuff.

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3706 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 26 of 32
22 September 2015 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Just use it the way it's intended: one lesson per day, if you were able to get through 80% of the lesson then go on to the next lesson. If not, repeat that lesson.

I found it pretty easy to get through all levels of German, mainly because it's pretty easy to "see the word" in your head, since German spelling-pronunciation is pretty easy once you know it. For French, I had a much harder time (still only half way through), but I found it got easier once I supplemented it with other methods and got to know the spelling-pronunciation structure.

In that regard, I imagine that your experience may be similar to my experience with French, in that it's hard to get the words to stick. My advice would be to supplement it with another course that involves something that will give you a general idea of the phonemics of the language. If you get stuck/frustrated, start another program and come back to it. It's a great program.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 22 September 2015 at 4:26am

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 32
24 September 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
It seems to me that most users of the Pimsleur Method adopt their own variants of working this programme. The major differences, either as expressed here or in related discussion threads, seem to deal with the type and amount of review that is required to consolidate the material. While we all have our own ways of approaching review, it seems to me that Pimsleur (Simon & Schuster) could very easily assist the user by simply adding a final "Review Unit" at the end of each Phase, covering all of the material through several dialogues in the final 30-minute session. Additionally, it would be a nice touch if they were to include a printed/downloadable "Glossary" of all of the vocabulary items that had been presented in a given Phase. I have submitted such suggestions to Simon & Schuster in past and was kindly advised that doing so would be "not in the spirit" of the programme as originally conceived. Why am I not surprised by their response?

Edited by Speakeasy on 24 September 2015 at 2:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3341 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 28 of 32
25 September 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
For Pimsleur and Pimsleur-clone lessons I like to do the following:

1. Import the audio into audio editing software and remove all the gaps (I really dislike the gap-filling routine).

2. When listening, the Pimsleur prompts occasionally say something like (How do you think you would say ... blah blah blah). Just ignore those. Whenever the native speaker starts answering, that is when you should start shadowing his speech. You just copy what he says and how he pronounces it. THAT'S IT.

Remember Pimsleur and similar courses teach you almost no vocabulary. So don't even bother trying to remember the words, and don't think that the words will be useful to you in everyday situations (the volume is just way too small). The point is get a feel for the language and to add some automaticity. And make it fun. That's why I don't like the gap filling. It's not fun.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 29 of 32
26 September 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
I vote for using it as it is intended/designed. Tons of work, time and effort went into designing the program and determining the most effective way to use it. I trust that Dr. Pimsleur knows the best way to use his resources.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5924 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 30 of 32
27 September 2015 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
For me, Pimsleur was stupendously boring -- I was only got through it by listening on long walks -- basically using as instructed.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 32
27 September 2015 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone also supposedly put a lot of time and research into designing the "method"...

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 32 of 32
27 September 2015 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Good point about Rosetta Stone. I don't think people are talking about how Pimsleur is "designed" or if it is effective. That would be a different discussion. Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone might not be designed in the most effective way and I agree with you on that. However, the question "the best way to use Pimsleur" is really a different issue. I say beginners should generally use resources as they were designed. I've never used Rosetta Stone, but I'd also recommend beginners use it as it was designed.

The people who created Pimsleur/Assimil/Rosetta Stone/etc are experts in their resources and in language learning. They also spend tons of time and money determining how to best use their resources. I think, in general, their expertise should be trusted.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version