Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5580 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 15
27 January 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
OK I get that now. But I'm not sure if this kind of analysis goes deep enough. His goal
is to put you in a position where you can learn by immersion (some people like Benny the
Irish polyglot have acquired the skills do this from zero, but many of us can't yet) and
by extensive reading, and what he teaches is carefully chosen with that end in mind. I
don't know what criteria he used to do so, so I don't know how you could show this aspect
in your data.

Edited by Random review on 27 January 2012 at 11:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 15
28 January 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
OK I get that now. But I'm not sure if this kind of analysis goes deep enough. His goal
is to put you in a position where you can learn by immersion (some people like Benny the
Irish polyglot have acquired the skills do this from zero, but many of us can't yet) and
by extensive reading, and what he teaches is carefully chosen with that end in mind. I
don't know what criteria he used to do so, so I don't know how you could show this aspect
in your data.

The op just trying to give us an idea of how much vocabulary we'd pick up using MT, and help us to check spellings. More specifically, we can see what types of vocabulary are used the most. That's it.

I've never thought of the idea that MT is trying to help us to learn by immersion. I would think MT would be a good idea to use before immersion, but as he never mentions the word, I'd hesitate to use it in describing the purpose of the course.

Edited by Jeffers on 28 January 2012 at 9:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5580 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 11 of 15
29 January 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
@ Jeffers: OK, I get what you're doing I was just thinking that maybe it's
counterproductive to think into MT courses this much if your interest is learning
languages rather than teaching: they're courses to just do IMO, and as quickly as
possible at
that, then move on. Still, as long as you don't find it stressful I guess there's no harm
if you feel it helps you.

He never uses those specific terms but his advice on how to go on to learn the language
from the foundation he gives you amounts to reading and talking to native speakers.

Edited by Random review on 29 January 2012 at 12:54am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 12 of 15
30 January 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
He never uses those specific terms but his advice on how to go on to learn the language
from the foundation he gives you amounts to reading and talking to native speakers.

Reading native materials and speaking with natives is not immersion, not by a long shot.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5580 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 13 of 15
30 January 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Well I said extensive reading and immersion. You don't think that speaking with native
speakers as often as possible is immersion? OK, let me restate in a more precise way:
immersion would be the ideal, failing that speaking with natives as much as IS possible
for you.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 14 of 15
30 January 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Well I said extensive reading and immersion. You don't think that speaking with native
speakers as often as possible is immersion? OK, let me restate in a more precise way:
immersion would be the ideal, failing that speaking with natives as much as IS possible
for you.

I thought we were talking about MT? You said, "His goal is to put you in a position where you can learn by immersion." I'm just trying to point out that he says nothing of the sort, and you are importing your own ideas into what he said about reading and speaking. I wasn't disagreeing with the idea that immersion is good, that extensive reading and speaking amounts to immersion, or that MT might be good preparation for immersion. However, if you're speaking about the goal of a course, be careful not to go beyond what the author says. Unless you just like making random propositions.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5580 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 15 of 15
30 January 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
No, I'm not importing my own ideas, he does say to go on by speaking to natives as much
as possible, I was agreeing with you on reflection that perhaps my use of the term
"immersion" was not correct and rephrasing it along more accurate lines.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version