Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
28 January 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Whilst Learning with Pimsleur I have learned that some words are different from some other programs and dictionaries so which do I use?

words On Pimsleur such as:    

Where = nâr 哪儿
Here = zhèr 这儿
There = nàr 那儿

But on other things they are:

Where = nǎli 哪里
Here = zhèlǐ 这里
There = nàli 那里

Which are the most popular ones if they are both used. Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 8
28 January 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
The 儿 is northern usage. I see the usage as a matter of what is more appropriate given who you're talking with. For instance, my Mandarin speaking groups have a decent number of southerns so the northerns refrain from using 儿. On that note, I use 哪里, 这里 and 那里.....but I'm ethnic Chinese with roots in Guangdong. I think most native Mandarin speakers would find it odd if I used 儿s.

Edited by Snowflake on 29 January 2012 at 12:00am

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6414 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 3 of 8
29 January 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
When I lived in Taiwan, I only heard 哪里, 这里 and 那里.

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4548 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 4 of 8
29 January 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
In my experience I found that mainland Chinese Mandarin speakers tend to use 哪儿 more
often than 哪里, the opposite can be said for Taiwan(I'm not sure about Hongkong, as I
don't have experience with Mandarin speakers from that area

They are both completely natural in any situation. You can just use whichever you want :)

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 8
29 January 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone and thanks for your Infomation. Clears it up for me as I thought I had learnt It wrong when I came across the different ones.

Thank you.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6660 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 6 of 8
29 January 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I would not agree that they are both completely natural in any situation. When I first moved to Taipei, I was corrected after using 兒化. They simply don't use it here. In fact, I heard someone say 那兒 today at the National Palace Museum, and I immediately pinpointed them as Mainlanders (which further listening confirmed). People will understand you, sure, and you get a pass if you're not ethnically Chinese, but they will still think it's weird and may even correct you like they did me.

Now, using 這裡, 那裡, and 哪裡 will be understood anywhere you go, and would not likely be thought odd by anyone. Using the 兒化 ending, although technically standard in China, is more or less a regional thing.

Beysic
Diglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

20 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 7 of 8
29 January 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
They're both 100% correct. The 儿 form is more common in Northern China due to the prevalence of 儿话。

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 8
30 January 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Technically, 哪里 is Modern Standard Mandarin and 哪儿 is Pekingese/Beijinghua (and other areas use it in their dialect, too). This means that 哪儿 is incorrect in Putonghua. However, due to the prestige of Beijing, 哪儿 is hardly seen as "incorrect" by most speakers, whereas a similar non-standard form from a different dialect would be frowned upon. In fact, some people even purposefully learn the Beijing dialectal form in order to associate themselves with the prestige of the city.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version