Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 15
29 January 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
What kind of hurdles would somebody learning a West Slavic language from a South Slavic perspective (namely
Bulgarian) have to overcome? I'm well aware of the opposing instances of declension/conjugation difficulty, but
what about lexicon, word order, and idiomatic expressions? Just looking at the prevalence of accented characters,
diacritic marks, and consonant clusters in these languages makes me woozy but what about their pronunciation?
What portion of the vocabulary is transparent?

Thanks for any answers or input.

Edited by Kartof on 29 January 2012 at 1:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 15
29 January 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Try the WALS site, hopefully it'll give you an overview of these languages.

I'd like to ask a related question - I understand Croatian, Polish, Czech quite well when spoken, but I read in them very slowly. Has anyone been in a similar situation with any two Slavic languages (especially a native speaker of one)? What would you suggest - reading while listening to the audio, reading without audio, working on my listening first and and putting off learning to read till later?

To complicate things further, I'll hopefully be spending 2-3 days in Warsaw and 5-7 in Prague in May.

Edited by Serpent on 29 January 2012 at 9:08pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 15
30 January 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I am not learning another Slavic language (yet) but I have heard a lot of natives of
Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Slovak, and Croatian speaking Czech.

Many of them struggle with the same things and one of the main reasons is not trying to
get better. They get their point across so why bother. Every learner of a similar
language needs to realise that no matter how easier it is in comparison with a distant
language, it is still a foreign language with it's own rules, not just a dialect of
your own mothertongue.

One of the most common mistakes is the intonation of sentences. Grammar mistakes are
present as well but they disturb much less. There is usually little trouble with
vocabulary, since it often comes from the same roots (but beware of numerous false
friends).

So, no matter which language you choose, I'd guess you should listen a lot to get used
to the different melody. The rest will come easier. For exemple in Czech Republic, many
people will hardly notice you are making grammar mistakes. As long as you "sound
Czech", you will be admired. If you speak in your accent and intonation, some may take
you as "another poor imigrant". It is sad but it is true.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 4 of 15
30 January 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
That's interesting. I wouldn't expect intonation to be a greater issue in learning a language than grammar. What
sounds in Czech and other West Slavic languages are difficult to pronounce by other Slavic speakers?
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 15
30 January 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I find it easier to listen to somebody with good prosody and the occasional grammar mistake, than someone with good grammar but bad prosody. There must be something written about this in Olle Kjellin's articles.

You can have perfect grammar but still sound like a foreigner.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 15
31 January 2012 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
A few years ago, my English teacher called it "singing". I don't know the correct terms
for it, but melody of a Czech sentence is quite stable with intonation growing or
falling in various types of sentences, like growing at the end of question, I'd say it
is very similar to romance languages. Melody in a Russian sentence, and Ukrainian too,
sounds to me confusing, like going up and down and again. Not sure whether you'll
understand from my description. And many of Russian natives, especially those who
started learning Czech quite late, take this melody with them to the Czech language and
it sounds not right. Yes, the individual words are Czech, the grammar is Czech, the
vocabulary is Czech, most of the sounds are good, but the whole thing together is not
Czech. That is why I need to pay much more attention to most Russians speaking Czech
than to Americans speaking Czech for exemple.

I think the Croatians are a bit similar in this way. I know one who is extremely
difficult to understand but in his case it is not the intonation, it is most of the
language components. But he is getting better. Not sure about Bulgarian speakers, I
don't know any in person.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 7 of 15
31 January 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
But is a foreign accent always bad? I've heard Russian with Czech accent and I enjoyed
it.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 8 of 15
31 January 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Czech pronunciation is also very difficult because of the distinction of long and short
vowels.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version