Waegukin
Korea, South
Joined 5281 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 3
29 January 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I'm putting this in General first instead of specific, because I think it can be
applied to multiple languages.

My dream is to work with North Korean defectors and help them to adjust to their new
life in either S.K or and English-speaking country, or help them along the way to
S.Korea.

Either way I know I will need to have a high level of Korean to do this.

I have high intermediate skills right now and am going to school in South Korea.

If you were me, what exactly would you study? What type of vocabulary, etc? What kind
of sources?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 3
29 January 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Vocabulary relating to various social services and how they work could be important. You might also like to explain the school system and how to enroll their children for those that have them. But really, you need just about everything.

I have a book called "Living in Norway" written for immigrants to Norway (all immigrants, not just refugees). It explains everything from how the social services work to what the letters on the license plates mean. If you could find something similar for Korea, it would be a good start. You might not learn any vocabulary from reading it as it's likely to be written in English since it is for foreigners, but at least you'd see what kind of words are important so you could look them up. Also you might find out some information you didn't even know yourself, and you would see how to explain it in a straightforward manner.
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 3
17 March 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Work as in volunteering or do you actually want to make this your job? If job: Do you have the qualifications you need for this? If not, can you get them in Korea? I think that would be the first thing to worry about. And if you can get a degree in Korean I don't see what would keep you from being able to do the work.

If you want to volunteer, I think there might be a need for English education, or many other things that don't require perfect language skills. I recommend you to look into volunteering even if your real goal is to get a job in this area. You'll gain a lot of important insights into how the resettlement is carried out and without doubt you'll find out if the job really suits you or not. You'll also find out which vocabulary to study and you'll get used to North Korean dialect if you get to work with the refugees. I don't know about Korea, but here organizations that work with refugees are happy about every volunteer with any set of skills they can find.

By the way, I commend you for this goal and hope you have many positive experiences. I do volunteer work in this area (mainly language teaching and recruiting volunteers) and it's great - interesting, challenging, rewarding, but it can also be very tough.

Edited by druckfehler on 17 March 2012 at 2:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version