26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Erica1990
United States
Joined 4491 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 26
30 January 2012 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
I have been wanting to learn MSA for quite a while and now have the funds (to buy textbooks, etc) to do so. What learning resources should I use? Are the al-kitaab books any good? How many hours a day should I study? Is it possible to reach a proficient level thru self-study alone, or will I eventually need to get a tutor? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 26
30 January 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Let's start with the bad news! There is no "good" place to start. There's a shocking
lack of resources for Arabic, and even the normally good programs like can be weak when
it comes to Arabic.

If you know this going in, it'll save you some of the frustrations we've all faced.
Know that you'll hit roadblocks with each program, and know that you'll have to take
multiple approaches for each breakthrough, and you'll be fine.

My current thoughts, subject to change:

1. Start with Alif Baa. Learn the basics of the alphabet. Do not even think
about skipping this step!

2. Do a couple chapters of Living Language or Teach Yourself. It will be
too hard to finish the books at this point, but you'll get a sense of the language's
structure. Make sure any book you buy contains the Arabic script as well as a
transliteration. Every book transliterates differently, which is a total pain.

3. Give Michel Thomas (Egyptian, I think) or Pimsleur (Levantine) a
shot. Neither is MSA, but they'll help you to learn to "listen" to the sounds.

That's six months right there, if you average about 30" a day.

My impression is that al Kitaab is geared more towards classroom instruction. You can
pass, at this point, on Assimil and FSI. They might come in useful down
the
road, but not at this point.

Linguaphone intrigues me, but I don't know anyone who's done it.

Edited by kanewai on 30 January 2012 at 8:23am

10 persons have voted this message useful

KSAKSA
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4954 days ago

65 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Gulf)

Message 3 of 26
30 January 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
^^ Great suggestions above...

Definitely learn the alphabet - it isn't that hard and won't take you long and it will help immensely with your pronounciation.

Michel Thomas is quite a good course to kick off with, as mentioned above, it isn't MSA but a lot of the work on there is applicable to MSA.

Arabicpod.net is a great resource too.

Fazla
Hexaglot
Italy
Joined 6071 days ago

166 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: Italian, Serbo-Croatian*, English, Russian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 26
30 January 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Arabic will test your motivation in ways you can't imagine.

So I have been doing Arabic self studying without any previous knowledge of any language that could potentially help me with Arabic (like Persian, Turkish Urdu and similar).

You can learn the alphabet in one day with no problems.

Textbooks wise, I used Assimil only (the new edition) and I found it to be incredibly good, at least for me (then again, I'm a huge Assimil fan and supporter, but that's a personal taste in the end).

That has been supported by youtube with Arabic songs and clips of people speaking in Arabic with subtitles.

In the end Arabic is definitely not as difficult as some make it believe.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 26
30 January 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
One other thing I'd recommend is to download the Microsoft Maren (or similar) toolbar.
It converts the "Arabic text alphabet" to Arabic script. So if I type:

"9aba7 alkheir"

... with the language toolbar set to Arabic / Maren I get:

صباح الخير

This has helped me a lot when making vocab lists, or typing up summaries of each day's
lessons.    I still have a hard time with Arabic dictionaries, so I find I need to keep
my own running vocabulary list.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5641 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 6 of 26
30 January 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I agree entirely with Kanewai about the frustrations of learning Arabic. I find it a fascinating language, but I have lost count of the number of times I have given up, only to be drawn back to it.

I've been using 'Mastering Arabic' (only 3 more chapters to go!) and I think it makes a good introduction to the language if you are a complete beginner. The good points are that it goes at a steady pace in the beginning, it doesn't overwhelm you with new vocabulary and grammar points, it has a nice 'fun' layout and there is quite a lot of supplementary material to reinforce what you are learning. (a workbook, grammar book, and a book for learning the script). The bad points are that it crams all the finer points of Arabic verbs into about 3 chapters, which leaves the student with a very rushed overview and little chance to consolidate this complicated aspect of Arabic. Some of the topics and vocabulary are IMHO not very appropriate for beginners. (There is a whole chapter on government ministers convening meetings with foreign ambassadors) And there isn't enough audio to help make the transition to native material. You certainly won't have mastered the language by the end of the book.

There is also a 2nd volume, which I have bought but haven't started yet. It doesn't look bad, each chapter deals with a specific theme (family, education, health etc), and seems to reinforce some of the material in the first book and also fill in some of the gaps. Each chapter also focuses on a particular Arab country, giving you an audio sample with transcript of the dialect as a taster. However, again, I would say that grammar is covered very briefly with few exercises to consolidate.

I have used Linguaphone and reached Lesson 7 or thereabouts. I liked it, listening to the large amount audio meant I had Arabic words and phrases constantly buzzing in my head. However I got to the stage where I felt overwhelmed by the amount of new vocabulary. Maybe if I were to focus solely on Arabic I would go back to it. One of the problems with it, though, is that you will come across case endings in the dialogues with no explanation as to why they are there. This led to me giving up on it in frustration before reaching the end of lesson 2. It was only a year later, when I had a better understanding of how the cases worked, that I felt able to go back to it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 7 of 26
04 February 2012 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
What about DLI MSA? Is it good?

WonderJet
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4521 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French

Message 8 of 26
05 February 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I just started studying Arabic myself, and I immediately saw that it's fundamentally
different from studying something like French or Russian, where there's just one
standard form of the language that everyone reads and speaks. Of course, there are
regional flavors, as there are with English, but Arabic is different. No one speaks
MSA at home, so you either need to limit yourself to the written word or double up with
a regional dialect so you can actually have a natural conversation with someone.

I chose Egyptian Arabic as my spoken dialect because I know a few native speakers from
work, plus the dominance of Egyptian movies and music in Arabic entertainment.

As for texts, I can say that Teach Yourself Complete Arabic is very good, but it's not
easy. It's the kind of book that hands you a real world writing selection of a few
paragraphs along with a glossary of fifty words. Clearly, that approach has its
benefits and drawbacks. It's not bad, but it's weird to know the word for "conquer"
before the word for "ball".

I also have Mastering Arabic. I've done a few chapters and find it more lighthearted
and probably easier to work through while staying motivated.

My brother and I started this year off with a two week challenge, starting from zero
and putting up a two minute video in Arabic after fourteen days. The intro is
here
and my final video is
here.
I averaged a little over four hours
per day during that time, but a lot of the time was spent learning the alphabet (I
still read frustratingly slowly) and evaluating different online resources and books to
see
what would stick.

Definitely get a tutor if you can afford one, especially to give you guidance at the
beginning, since the pronunciation and writing are so unfamiliar.

My best general advice would be to keep it fun and make small achievable goals to keep
yourself motivated.

Edited by WonderJet on 11 February 2012 at 6:41am

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version