Michael K.
United States
Joined 5509 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 1 of 20
30 January 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
It's in response to economist and former Harvard president Lawrence Summers saying that English is the global language and that anyone who needs to know something in another language could just use a machine translation. Note: See zenmonkey's post for the actual quote. I wrote the past sentence without actually looking at the quote and thought that's what he said.

I'm sure no one on this forum is surprised that the 6 debaters all reject this notion.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/29/is-learning- a-language-other-than-english-worthwhile/being-monolingual-i s-no-longer-an-option

This is the first post, with the others linked on the left side.

Edited by Michael K. on 31 January 2012 at 1:42pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 20
31 January 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
The link provided does not take you directly to the debate unless you remove the space between the "i" and the "s". Here is the direct link:
Is Learning a Language Other Than English Worthwhile- Room For Debate

Edited by iguanamon on 31 January 2012 at 1:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6332 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 20
31 January 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
What he wrote is

Quote:

The world is much more open, and events abroad affect the lives of Americans more than ever before. This makes it essential that the educational experience breed cosmopolitanism — that students have international experiences, and classes in the social sciences draw on examples from around the world. It seems logical, too, that more in the way of language study be expected of students. I am not so sure.

English’s emergence as the global language, along with the rapid progress in machine translation and the fragmentation of languages spoken around the world, make it less clear that the substantial investment necessary to speak a foreign tongue is universally worthwhile. While there is no gainsaying the insights that come from mastering a language, it will over time become less essential in doing business in Asia, treating patients in Africa or helping resolve conflicts in the Middle East.

It is today less clear that it is as universally worthwhile as before. I know people living in Germany for short stints that thrive without the local language.
It is sad but his statement seems accurate when it is considered as a tradeoff on the investment of time.

For me, it is obviously a worthy investment.

Edited by zenmonkey on 31 January 2012 at 1:01am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4737 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 4 of 20
31 January 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Languages aren't necessary to learn if you know English IMO, but that doesn't mean
that languages don't improve your ability to connect with and understand the world. I
have lots of friends in Germany, and I COULD just talk to them in English, as they mostly
speak English pretty well, or I could take the time to learn their native language, and
achieve a closer relationship that couldn't otherwise occur.
8 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 20
31 January 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Yes, many people survive in countries where English is not a native language speaking only English. In fact, they survive so well that they may spend their entire lives in a country never having learned the native language. I don't want to meet just the people who speak English. I don't want to live in an English-speaking bubble. I want to use a language to gain insight to another people, another culture and another way of seeing the world. I don't want to merely survive. I want to thrive.

My life would be much the poorer if I didn't speak and understand Spanish and, after a lot of work, now at an advanced level in Portuguese. What I have gained by devoting time to learning languages is an entree into cultures I would know nothing about if it were not for having learned their language. I've read books not translated into English. I have seen films with no English subtitles. I have met people who do not speak English but are perfectly fluent in their own Spanish or Portuguese. You may be able to get by with an iPhone/Android app or reliance on English only, but you won't win non-English-speaking friends or come away with a greater appreciation for the wonderful human diversity that is still, thankfully, abundant on this planet.

Edited by iguanamon on 31 January 2012 at 1:50am

5 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4739 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 6 of 20
31 January 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
English is the language of money, thats why I stopped reading at the word "investement" - today education isnt about knowledge, its about who can earn the most out of how little they know.

Getting along just knowing English might be fine, but I would get rid of anyone who says learning another language isn't worthwhile. As learning a languages leads to learning about other cultures, history and a range of other things.

I know one thing for sure though, if everywhere only spoke English - I wouldn't travel again.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 20
31 January 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
The translation machines are getting better but they are still quite horrible for some
languages. Google translator and Czech is a nice exemple and I am sure it is not the
only language.

Of course you don't have to learn any other language as soon as you learn English. If
you only trade with other countries, they will speak English as well so why bother. But
I never understood the people going to other countries, living there and not learning
the language. Not just the half a year in English speaking "Erasmus bubble" or
something. They stay without the language for years. Don't they feel a bit alone?

Even if the language learning may not be an investment in the sense of bringing you
money, it is always an investment in yourself. Much better than watching TV and some
other ways you would spend the time if you weren't learning languages. I'm not saying
it is the only worthy investment in one's developement, of course, but it is one of the
good ones. And it postpones Alzheimer :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5509 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 8 of 20
31 January 2012 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Thanks for providing the link, iguanamon.

Thanks for tracking down that quote, zenmonkey.

I'm taking an Interpersonal Communications class this semester with an Italian-born instructor who came to the US when he was 8. He bluntly stated today in class that he thinks it's crap that people live for an extended period of time in other countries and don't make an effort to learn the local language. He also said he understands why people who are older and need to work for a living wouldn't learn the language that well and said his parents still speak broken English. He, of course, speaks perfect English without an accent. This was in the context of trying to assimilate to the culture when you move abroad.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version