Tags: Podcast | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5023 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 9 of 10
03 February 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any sources for the complete texts of the DLI courses for MSA and Persian?

This main (only?) source for the 1981 MSA course is missing Volume 14 (Lessons 105 - 112).

This source for the 1966 edition is complete according to the ERIC document resume (120 lessons in 9 volumes); however, the preface inside each individual volume mentions that there are supposed to be 180 lessons contained in 10 volumes. So, where are the remaining 60 lessons? (By the way, Vol. 1 was for some reason included at the end of this enormous PDF file, beginning on page 2151, so it does contain the 9 volumes stated on the ERIC document resume).

My original link for both of the above was here.

Since I'm at it, has anyone systematically compared the two editions? The later one (1975 originally, revised again in 1981) seems quite different from the earlier one, so if they found it necessary to utterly redo it, then perhaps they found something wrong with it? However, for my money from what I have seen thus far, the 1966 edition seems more substantial, i.e., it contains more drills, more written Arabic on the average page.

Similarly, the prefaces to the individual volumes of the 1966 Persian course available here all mention that there are supposed to be 124 lessons contained in 10 volumes. However, volume 8 only goes up to lesson 100, and as there are about a dozen lessons in each volume, clearly there should be two more. There are many supplemtary volumes available on the site, but none containing these final lesssons, even though one is labled "Vol. IX."

Does anyone have any alternate sources for these? Or at least any idea why they should be missing from these? Is it possible they were never produced?
1 person has voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5023 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 10 of 10
03 February 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
This is the second time I've tried to create a new topic, but for some reason my above post insists on appearing as a reply to this thread. Could a moderator please move it to its own new thread with the subject: "DLC MSA & Persian - complete texts?" Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version