110 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 13 14 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 110
01 February 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
There was a question about it so I thought I'd start a thread.
Another name of it is "Read more or die" - makes it obvious.
You can pick up to three languages and you can read pretty much anything. More detailed explanations here.

In 2012 the Tadoku months are January, June and October.

Who participated in January and what are your impressions?

It was quite a random decision to do Spanish but now after 344 pages I know it's been very useful. Maybe too useful - I kinda feel it's threatening my Portuguese.

In general, I think it's very important to choose your language(s) carefully. I had seen mentions of how it makes you, well, read more - it's true, but keep in mind that you're likely to read more in the one that is easiest for you. Sorta cheating. So think hard whether you want to sign up with your best language - it's a great idea if you got out of the habit and/or have some challenging material to read, but to really read as much as possible in a language it should probably be the strongest one on your list.

Also, on the last two days I tried AJATT-style reading (ie not from cover to cover but randomly). It was nice:) I did that to reach my target.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 110
12 March 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
The new experimental round will be between 18 and 31 March. I'm yet to figure out what's going to be experimental about it...
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6731 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 110
12 March 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The new experimental round will be between 18 and 31 March. I'm yet to
figure out what's going to be experimental about it...

IIRC, I think it's because it's either the first or one of the first 2-week Tadokus, and
they're trying it out before deciding whether/how many times to continue doing them this
year.

I'm looking forward to trying out my first Tadoku challenge either in March or April, and
trying out some of the reading styles described in the recent thread. The reason I
haven't participated in one so far is because the way of counting "pages" seems horribly
complicated...

Edited by Lucky Charms on 12 March 2012 at 1:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 4 of 110
12 March 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Oh it's not complicated at all! You just count your actual pages. If you're reading manga the bot will adjust so that say 50 pages of manga are 10 pages. You can count individual sentences if you're reading twitter or starting a pre-made SRS deck or reading examples in the dictionary or whatever.

AFAIU there won't be a Tadoku in April. There were four last year, but this year it'll be just three so only June and October are left.

I asked and yeah, the experiment is the length. There are also some new features like graphs, but the rules and format are the same.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 110
12 March 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Ok. So I have read the "for dummies" explanation, but even that did not help (is there anything beyond dummy?). How exactly do I sign up for this?

Is the point to pick one of your weaker languages as your main language and stronger ones as secondary languages, like in the 6WC, or do all three have equal weight?

The ones I probably would need to improve my reading skills in most would be German, Italian and French, in that order. There is not even any point in listing Russian, as we are talking 15 minutes a page there.Without actually understanding the content.:-).

And I hope I have understood correctly that in this challenge we do not count time, but pages, right? I am further assuming that when you say reading, you mean actual words on a page, and that an audio book does not count?

This will be a challenge indeed, because in the 6WC I have relied heavily on audio, which I can do at the same time that I do something else. Now I am good at multi tasking, but reading while driving or taking a shower may present a challenge, even for me.

My husband often reads while making dinner, so I could try out that one, and I guess I can read while using the ergometer bike.

Any other suggestions for how you make more time for reading while doing something else?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 6 of 110
12 March 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Here's another link
I thought my previous one included this post but I don't see it.
You register by tweeting at the bot, the format is listed on the site.

All three languages weigh equally, though the first one is your main one in the sense that if you tweet simply "10 #book" without listing the language, it will automatically count as this one.

Yeah, it has to be words on the page... or on a webpage or screen. You can count anything you read, no matter how little at a time.

A suggestion for you could be Listening-Reading something with Russian audio and the text in another language:) Unlike the 6WC, 100% concentration is not required here:)
You can also watch movies and series with subtitles in the target language. If you can read them in Russian you can also sign up with Russian, btw. It doesn't require 100% comprehension or any percentage of comprehension. I imagine reading transliterated Russian would be okay too btw, especially as the length of the text remains almost the same.
Twitter is a great source for sentences.

As I said, I also recommend AJATT-style reading ie not from cover to cover. Often easier than going in the "right" order.

Oh and you could also try Ilya Frank's method. I did it with German and I counted 3 pages as 1. (I didn't reread the paragraphs when they are given without a translation).
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 110
13 March 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
I took the plunge and signed up with Portuguese, Polish and German. Will be fun to watch them fight for domination:) There's not a clear strong language among them like Finnish was between German and Spanish.

Cristina, you list the Romance ones as advanced fluency and German as basic fluency. If it's your highest priority, I recommend signing up only with German out of these three. You WILL want to improve your score very often, and chances are you'll read in your best language.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 8 of 110
13 March 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Anyone should try this! Actually, the Tadoku is what made me create a 6 Week Challenge
Twitter bot. I found it extremely motivating.

It's good to sign up with less languages, especially for this 2-week thing, because you
will improve more. Your reading speed will go up during this challenge, too. And I can
recommend this 20-minute exercise for anyone who wants to improve his reading speed
beforehand: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/07/30/ - think of
speed reading what you will, but it's clear that >5 minutes per page is NOT the ideal
speed for any language, and that you should be able to go faster without missing
content. I also wrote a blog entry about what makes reading fun, might be something to
consider: http://www.learnlangs.com/blog/2011/11/03/what-makes-reading -fun/.

For this 2-week Tadoku, I shall binge on French literature, because I'm preparing for
an exam. Doing a Tadoku with English would feel like cheating for me because it's as
easy as reading German and I do it often anyway, but I still need this motivation boost
in order to read French literature. And if I do a bit of Chinese on the side, I also
won't complain, but my Chinese reading is very unsatisfying still; I'm leaving that for
a full Tadoku.

A "basic fluency" language sounds perfect for Tadoku.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 110 messages over 14 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version