Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
110 messages over 14 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 13 14 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5921 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 17 of 110
19 March 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I'm clearly not understanding how this is supposed to work.

I just tried registering via Twitter (you are supposed to do that via Twitter, right?) using the format that they outlined in the 多読-manual. In my case it was:

@TadokuBot #reg #nl; #el; #es

Actually, it originally contained a page goal as well, but then I removed that when I still had not received a response after an hour, thinking that perhaps that was the problem.

Anyways, I still have not received any confirmation from the TadokuBot at all. Of course, that's assuming that it tells you that you're registered the way the 6WCBot does. I'm also not listed on the ranking page yet.

So... Which of the following is true?
a) The Bot is malfunctioning.
b) I'm inept and am doing it all wrong.
c) I'm a complete idiot because I'm already registered and should just start reading.
d) All of the above.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6376 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 110
19 March 2012 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Is your twitter protected? the bot won't see your tweet at it in this case.
the format is correct.
http://digitalartificer.com/railed/list.php your name isn't here so you aren't registered yet:/
You can certainly start reading though, and count it when you manage to register:) If your twitter account isn't protected, contact LordSilent.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5921 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 19 of 110
19 March 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Is your twitter protected? the bot won't see your tweet at it in this case.
the format is correct.
http://digitalartificer.com/railed/list.php your name isn't here so you aren't registered yet:/
You can certainly start reading though, and count it when you manage to register:) If your twitter account isn't protected, contact LordSilent.

It is protected, I think. I vaguely remember something about having to follow the 6WCBot the first time I registered for the 6WC, so I'm thinking that's what I should do here as well. I'll try that. Thank you!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6376 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 110
19 March 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure that's enough. Following isn't the same as giving access to your tweets.
The easiest would be to temporarily unlock your account, tweet at the bot and protect it again after your registration is confirmed. Now the bot will be following you and it doesn't matter if your tweets are locked or not.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5921 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 21 of 110
19 March 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm not sure that's enough. Following isn't the same as giving access to your tweets.
The easiest would be to temporarily unlock your account, tweet at the bot and protect it again after your registration is confirmed. Now the bot will be following you and it doesn't matter if your tweets are locked or not.

Thanks, that worked.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6376 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 22 of 110
01 April 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
So, what are your impressions?
I loved the experimental round! 2 weeks feels just about right <3 I'll now maintain my good habits in the consistency thread without feeling too much pressure. I can already feel a lot of improvement, yesterday I wrote a short book review in Portuguese without looking up anything or even wondering whether I need to. It might not be flawless but after 306 pages (that's my real count for Portuguese, not 321) my insecurity is gone. I either know the word or I don't; I no longer need to google just to confirm I really know it.

I'm relieved that this month *almost* without challenges is starting :) Already thinking of June, guess I'll sign up with Polish again (bc I'll do 6WC in it), Italian and either Portuguese or German. Depends on what I'll have read by then.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5113 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 110
01 April 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I have never tried a full length Tadoku, but 2 weeks felt great. It is a time length that you can manage to do
a sprint in without breaking a sweat. 6 weeks, like in the 6WC, was more of a marathon. I felt like a
zombie after finishing that. Have I understood correctly that the Tadoku will be one month next time?
Anyhow as far as results go, I am really happy to have crossed a threshold in German. My level was poor
when I started out, but 1000 pages of German in little over a week has pushed me into more of a comfort
zone. I doubt that I am more than a B1 as far as level goes, but I felt comfortable reading large amounts of
German. I did not improve my reading speed as much as I had hoped, but I felt like I could have read
double as much if I had only had more time. My Italian was in a worse condition than I had thought, and
since I chose to limit my Italian reading until I had finished 1000 pages of German, I did not get as good
results in Italian. I guess I could have, had I not made the choice of stopping to read in Italian, and jump to
Russian instead. Although that choice was also bad for my Italian reading, I am glad I did, because I have
now actually started to read Russian. Well, reading is perhaps being too kind to myself, since reading
usually implies actually understanding what you are reading, and right now I can't really say that I do. I
understand the gist of it, and will push on until I have finished the book. Hoping that by then I will have
understood both who have been murdered and who the murderer is. :-) The beauty is that here and there I
pick up expressions from context, and the occasional full sentence, and then I feel really good.

So all in all, very happy with the Tadoku challenge, which has done wonders for my German reading skills,
and has pushed me into reading Russian. I will definitely participate next time as well. I always say that I
have no time to study, but I must be a lot more competitive than I thought, because once I am in one of
these challenges I seem to find time where none is available.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5022 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 24 of 110
01 April 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I only did Japanese this time, rather than three languages in the last Tadoku and found it to be a real benefit to focus on just one. I read 1000 or so pages of manga and about half-way through suddenly thought, 'wait a minute, I'm actually getting most of this'. Admittedly, I'm reading books I have already read, albeit several years ago, so I'll be interested to see if the keeps up once I get to the books in the series that I've not read. The series I've currently reading has something like 70 volumes, so it's good for getting new material that still has a certain comfort level.

This discussion contains 110 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version