110 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 13 14 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 110
19 December 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
lol i bet the super challengers are especially happy :P
1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4832 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 42 of 110
19 December 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Yay! and during my winter break too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 110
19 December 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
doing portuguese? i'm not sure whether to do both it and Italian or only the latter...

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4832 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 44 of 110
19 December 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Keeping in mind that the point is to read extensively, I feel like I should do Spanish, but I also thought about French. No matter how much I neglect the language, it keeps beckoning me, especially when I'm in Russia. Decisions decisions...

edit: I thought you were doing Polish? or are you doing multiple language? but why am I even asking this :))

Edited by espejismo on 19 December 2012 at 11:52pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 45 of 110
20 December 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
You can choose up to three languages so of course I will:)))
why does French especially bother you in Russia? :)
I might actually do it... I use it a lot at work so I've been doing some GLOSS lessons. I hate the sound of it and the worst is that i know some of the pronunciation rules...but reading bits of French teaches me to read without vocalizing, which is a useful skill:)
yikes..what did i say? No way i'm doing french.......... nonononono argh.

Anyway, I asked about the rounds planned for 2013:

Optimal schedule would be January – May – September full rounds March, July, November half rounds. But I really want a a full round in the middle of the number so I might change that.

I think for the full rounds I'll be doing various combinations of my super challenge languages, and for half I'll do Finnish+two SC langs. I might do German only for one of the half rounds, maybe in March. I feel like I really need to make it the focus language of something, but the thought of a 6WC or a full Tadoku with as much German as possible..meh.

I might even do some Swedish later:))) Many of my langs aren't on the list and I'm reluctant to ask for them if I'm not sure I can read some 300-500 pages. I think I'll only request Belarusian. Maybe later, maybe even for January. Oh and Croatian, but definitely later. I also definitely need to do more full rounds with Portuguese and Italian.

When there's overlap with 6WC I'll do my 6wc target languages of course. but I have no idea about them so far. Very tempted to skip the February round tbh.

I think for January my goal will be 1919 pages. I *really* need to read more in my SC langs...

One day I'll do Indonesian too.... hmmm...

Edited by Serpent on 20 December 2012 at 9:45am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4990 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 110
20 December 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Tadoku! Oh, joy! I'd already started compiling a list of parallel-text / translated books I wanted to borrow, buy,
and read in 2013. This'll be a wonderful way to kick off the new year.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 110
30 December 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I tried to see whether they had opened registration - but I was unable to find out. Also I seem to remember
that this contest was meant for the languages in which you had a A1-B1 level, but I cannot find anything on
that either.

Does anyone have more information?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 December 2012 at 9:56am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 48 of 110
30 December 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Nah, (fortunately) it's a contest that doesn't bother about your level. If you want to improve your L2 skills, read.
Last time, someone was doing his secondary native language, Polish (in addition to another one - German, I think). He just admitted that although he can speak okay, his reading needs improvement, so he was allowed to do it.
On the other hand, I was starting the challenge with almost zero experience in Polish, maybe 3 hours of LR. And I totally didn't mind :)

This discussion contains 110 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version