Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 9 of 13
07 February 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Thank you everybody for your kind replies.
Upon reading them, I decided to learn some basic Japanese :-)

I'll give Michel Thomas' Total Japanese (previously known as Foundation course) a go. Pimsleur might be fine for people who have never studied a foreign language, but I borrowed the German edition and it was too boring for me.

Apparently, MT teaches many useful structures, but not a lot of vocabulary. Can somebody suggest any resource to learn vocabulary relevant for travelers? (hjordis: what materials are you using?)

I've also been leafing the Spanish edition of Remembering the Kana by James W. Heisig, and it seems to make learning the sillabaries quite manageable, so I'll probably end up going for it as well.

I don't know yet whether I'll have to put my German on hold, but as Arekkusu said, 3 months is not that long.
1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 13
07 February 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
If you're interested, I just went through the entire MT course (Foundation and Advanced) and identified every single "thing" that was taught. It's mainly a list of nouns, adjectives, verbs, and verb conjugations, with a few idiomatic expressions.

It's all in rōmaji, as I adapted it from the transcript, so you may find it of use to review the MT content (perhaps making flash cards or something) while you're going through the course (or after having completed the course), or perhaps even for kana practice by translating it into kana. I personally plan on making a "verb grid" with the verb forms on one axis, the verbs I've learned on the other axis, and filling in every box.

I've never used Google documents before, so hopefully this works:

Everything the Michel Thomas Japanese courses teach

The list may possibly look short at first (there are 187 items), but keep in mind that the 18 verbs applied to the 37 different forms yields 666 unique expressions, which aside from being satanic is also a good base to start off with, from which further vocabulary studies can really give you a usable, functional lexicon.

Edited by nway on 07 February 2012 at 11:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 13
07 February 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
As you noticed, I had to request your permission to access the document. Once granted, I could get it. Thank you very much!

Only 187 words, including the Advanced course!? I'll definitely need some additional resource, if I want to reach 500-1000 words for my trip.

Btw, could you please explain the meaning of the letter in the first column?
a -> adjective
f -> ?
n -> noun
p -> ?
t -> temporal adverb
v -> verb
vf -> ?
x -> ?

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 13
07 February 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
a -> adjective
f -> form
n -> noun
p -> particle
t -> time expression
v -> verb
vf -> verb form
x -> "miscellaneous" idiomatic phrase

The "forms" are basically the equivalent of "conjugations" in European languages, except that whereas conjugation in European language denotes tense, plurality, and gender, the "conjugation" of Japanese verbs serves more idiomatic functions.

The "vf" words are merely irregular forms that need to be specifically memorized; all the other verbs presented in the course are regular and may therefore be derived from the "form" rules explained elsewhere in the spreadsheet.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4996 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 13 of 13
07 February 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I started Japanese with the intention of learning it well, so I never really focused on phrases for travelers. My first resource was nihongo o narau (http://learn-japanese.info/) which probably wasn't the best since it allowed me to ignore kanji, but it has some decent beginning grammar lessons, and even if you don't use those they have some pretty extensive vocabulary lists(food and trains seem relevant). Tae-kim's guide(http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/) is also good, but probably too grammar intensive for your needs.

Upon a search, I found this: http://japanese-phrases.sakura.ne.jp/ which looks good and even has audio. Maybe stick to your MT for grammar if it's working for you and then take the phrases you need from there(or somewhere else) and put them in a flashcard program or something.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version