Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4672 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 1 of 7
02 February 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Some time ago I found a Swedish metal band called "Raubtier", and I think that the way
the vocalist sings is quite interesting. Up to that point, everything that I have heard
in Swedish sounded quite soft, unlike this stuff. It sounds quite rough, for example
rolling all r's, almost like a Finn pronouncing Swedish (I mean somebody whose mother
tongue is only Finnish), or trying to make the language sound like some harsh German
version. I have heard many dialect samples from both north and south Sweden, but to my
(very) limited knowledge, nothing sounds similar to this. I wonder if this is done only
for artistic purposes or is it the way these guys speak? the band is from Haparanda.

If you need to hear...
click here

Edited by caam_imt on 02 February 2012 at 12:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6469 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
02 February 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
He’s not singing in a special dialect, but rather overemphasising his pronunciation. No one speaks like that, but a
lot of metal-bands tend do sing likewise for some reason. That he’s form Norrland can be heard, but I pic that up
from his prosody and intonation rather than his overdone r’s.

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4672 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 

Message 3 of 7
02 February 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks for clearing that up. Is the over-pronunciation also shown in words like "det är"?
It is difficult for me to notice, but it seems that he also pronounces the "t" in det
(and of course the "r" in är too), and I have the impression that people just sort of say
"de" and drop the "r" too if some other word follows. It is not from that particular
song, but it just seems to me that he pronounces every letter, including the ones that I
think are dropped in normal speech. Does it sound too clumsy/weird/funny if one speaks
like this?

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4672 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 

Message 4 of 7
02 February 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
I mean as a beginner (since it's easier to pronounce everything), not that I would
actually want to imitate him :p

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 7
02 February 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Is the over-pronunciation also shown in words like "det är"?

Yes. Sometimes in song one will pronounce these letters. Usually not, but it's present in some genres. You'll find the same sort of phenomenon in religious psalms, too. Check out this well-known hymn (lyrics included!), for example.

Quote:
Does it sound too clumsy/weird/funny if one speaks like this?

Yes.

Edited by Ari on 02 February 2012 at 7:18am

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6469 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
02 February 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
It is difficult for me to notice, but it seems that he also pronounces the "t" in det
(and of course the "r" in är too), and I have the impression that people just sort of say
"de" and drop the "r" too if some other word follows. It is not from that particular
song, but it just seems to me that he pronounces every letter, including the ones that I
think are dropped in normal speech. Does it sound too clumsy/weird/funny if one speaks
like this?

I would suggest not to model your speech on hardcore metal music. People would be scared :P!

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4672 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 

Message 7 of 7
02 February 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Haha thanks, I'll try my best not to!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version