Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4270 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 25
01 September 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm impressed with the language skills of US diplomats. An American vice consul, a counterpart, recently
told me that he knew where was going to be assigned two years before deployment, so he had plenty of
time to prepare and study Mandarin. I, on the other hand, found out my place of assignment two months
before I left. He is assigned to Chengdu while I to Chongqing, which is a few hours drive apart.

In the written exam for admission to my country's foreign service, the foreign language component is worth
five percent of the total score, the rest of it composed of history, economics, international relations and
whole gamut of subjects, making it quite comprehensive. The written exam is only one of a series of five
examinations given out over a one or to year period. It is three consecutive days long, though. For my
foreign language exam I chose Spanish, having studied it at my university as part of my BA History
curriculum (I shifted to another course after some time).

I once attended a seminar conducted by an old Russian diplomat. He recounted how during his time, they
were encouraged to specialize, so he studied Sri Lankan, I assuming he was referring to Sinhalese, or quite
a number of years. However, when he did eventually get assigned to Sri Lanka, he wasn't really able to use
his Sinhalese at work. Whenever he spoke to a Sri Lankan using in their own language, he surprised Sri
Lankan would pay him a few compliments on his speech, then continue speaking in English.
I once attended a seminar conducted by an old Russian diplomat. He recounted how during his time in their
foreign service they were encouraged to specialized, so he studied Sri Lankan (I suppose he was referring
to Sinhalese) for many years. When he was assigned to Sri Lanka he said he ever got to use it much (in a
working environment) since whenever he would speak to a Sri Lankan in their own language, the surprised
Sri Lankan would usually pay him a few compliments then continue on in English.

Edited by Duke100782 on 01 September 2012 at 6:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version