Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 25 of 31
08 December 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted here in almost a year and a half. I'm ashamed that I haven't been practicing my Danish and that I've neglected it for so long! It's unfortunate, but my studies had to take precedence.

Anyway, I'm hoping to rekindle my learning of Danish over winter break. I've already started watching a Danish language show on Netflix called "Rita". Originally, I just planned to use the show for practice listening, but I found it so interesting that the plot and characters engulfed me! I'm currently watching the show with English subtitles since I wouldn't understand much with Danish subtitles. I am picking up some more of the prosody and pronunciation, as well as some common phrases and their usage, which is good! Soon I hope to review the grammar and do short readings. I won't give in this time!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 26 of 31
09 December 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
As of last night, I finished the first season of "Rita" (also the only one up on Netflix). From what I caught language-wise from the show, Danish seems to blur the lines between adjacent words even more than I thought. Sometimes, I barely even noticed the pronunciation of "Jeg" (I) because it would blur with the first sound of the verb. I did catch more of the correct pronunciation of the infamous soft Danish "d" as in "mad" (food) as well as the (correct me if I'm wrong) guttural "r" sound like in "Rosa" or "Rita", two of the characters' names. I think I might rewatch the season now with Danish subtitles since it wasn't too long and I did really enjoy it.

As soon as my last final for this semester is over, I'll go back over the grammar and do some more intense studying. I'm actually quite impressed with Danish television and cinema since all of the shows and movies I've seen so far were very well produced, funny, and thought-provoking. It's almost worth learning the language just for the media!
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4942 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2

Message 27 of 31
10 December 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kartof,

I just saw your log for the first time. Glad to see you're back on track with Danish.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 

Message 28 of 31
15 December 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Hi Kartof,

I just saw your log for the first time. Glad to see you're back on track with Danish.

And I'm glad to see someone actually reads this! As far as Danish goes, I've been having trouble finding many resources. I did have an Anki deck which I should better resurrect. I watched the first episode of the show "Rita" with Danish subtitles and I was surprised just how much I was able to pick up the second time. I don't know if I want to continue watching it though, since I've seen it once. Maybe I could find a new show and start off right away with Danish subs.

Edited by Kartof on 15 December 2013 at 12:57am

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6003 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 29 of 31
29 December 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Hello!

Nice to see you on the Scandinavian team. I wish you much luck with your studies.

Kartof wrote:
Maybe I could find a new show and start off right away with Danish subs.
I would always try the Danish subs first. You can always switch back to English if you find that you can't follow the show.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 30 of 31
29 December 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Hej Kartof!

I’ve just read through your log: it’s great to find someone else who’s an enthusiast about literature in their TLs and not just about the language. I’m looking forward to a fantastic TAC ’14 for our Scandinavian team.

Lycka till!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 31 of 31
27 December 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

We’re practically at the end of TAC’14. Would you like to drop by at our Team Asgard thead and tell us how this year went for you and your Danish studies? The year final report is also valid for our team’s December challenge!

I hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime I wish you

Gott nytt år!

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version