Groupie
Norway
Joined 4787 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 9 of 16
05 February 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
his CV say he's both. Dual citizenship. But I really don't know the Hull accent well enough to know how much he speak an north brittish dialect, or how much he mixes in Austrian accent...
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5370 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 10 of 16
05 February 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
He does sound a little odd, but maybe he's just trying to speak very clearly for the benefit of the interviewer.

I thought his "of course" sounded particularly German.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 05 February 2012 at 7:46pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 16
06 February 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
@OP, I'd take Michael Swan's "Learner English" (quick link to Amazon) and thoroughly study the part devoted to German speakers for starters, and have another go at it after that.

Edited by mrwarper on 06 February 2012 at 8:13am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 16
06 February 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I think Tim Skern's pronunciation is exceptionaly good in most places and he clearly sounds like he's either lived in the north of England for many years or has at least been around people from that area for a good while. However it's still not quite native sounding and definitely not a Hull accent (to my ears, he immediately sounds Germanic). I think this may be in part due to mirroring the girl's strong accent (which is so easily done...for instance, I know I start to sound much more Irish when surrounded by my Irish family), as well as down to the somewhat contrived and deliberate nature of the dialogue (native speech has flow and fusion and is rarely so punctuated, in which case I notice he improves a lot by the end of the talk and looks a little more comfortable). The main issue that really stands out for me here is his unusual intonation. Even when someone makes zero grammar mistakes and pronounces every word almost perfectly, it's intonation that's the dead giveaway! So on that note, I think that the best way for the OP to improve his accent and fluency would be to focus on getting English intonation right first.

Edited by Teango on 06 February 2012 at 4:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 16
06 February 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Exactly. Intonation is more important than the individual sounds.

Tim Skern
Austria
Joined 4485 days ago

1 posts - 5 votes

Message 14 of 16
06 February 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I am fascinated to hear these disparate views on how my English sounds these days. I am a indeed native speaker, born in Hull, raised in East Yorkshire, studied in Liverpool and London. Aged 25, I moved to Vienna where I found I had to lose my Yorkshire accent because no-one understood my English. So I tried to speak what I thought was a neutral accent. However, as I speak English mostly with non-native speakers, I didn't receive any feedback how it sounds, explaining the strange intonation. Learning Austrian German and speaking it for 30 years was proabably also a contributing factor in raising the bizareness. The Yorkshire accent is still there though, you just have to listen to our little daughter say "toast, soap, stone and money"!
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 16
06 February 2012 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
This is interesting! If I had placed a bet on your native language two days ago, I would have been a poor man today...

Starik
Germany
Joined 4491 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 16 of 16
07 February 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your answers. I will have a look at Conversation Exchange, as one of you has suggested.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version