United States
Joined 4489 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
04 February 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and really to learning languages. I am currently considering starting up Slovene and trying to
figure out if it would be worth my effort.

Basically, I would like to know anyone's experiences with Slovene and how difficult you found learning/studying it,
particularly coming from an English or Romance language background.

Thanks for any help or advice on this one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 3
05 February 2012 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Take a look at these threads.

Online resource for Slovenian and more!
Slovenian
Slovenian Profile

It's been a while since I was studying Slovenian but it's worth the effort if you're going to Slovenia or have personal reasons to learn it. Just make sure that you get a good course in it. "Colloquial Slovene" by Marta Pirnat-Greenberg is probably your best bet unless you can get something from Slovenia or you have enough reading knowledge in German to use this free online course. I recall there being a couple of natively-produced courses for beginners when I was browsing in bookstores in Slovenia some time ago but I didn't get the titles or ISBNs.

Avoid either of the Slovenian courses by Andrea Albretti (i.e. Teach Yourself Slovene and the old edition of Colloquial Slovene) as they're not worth your time (especially if you're learning on your own).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jankow
Diglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
05 February 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Chung. Great information. It's too bad there aren't more resources to learn Slovenian and that my ability
in German is low.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version