10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
techgeek
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 10
05 February 2012 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Ich lerne Deutsch aber spreche ich Deutsch nicht gut. Ich spreche Englisch.

Haben Ihr Suggestionen der Buche der Fiktionen zu lesen für ein Jugendliche? Da habe ein Sprachübersetzung zu Englisch nicht sein.

Wenn willen Ihr, sagen mir was, dass ist nicht richtig, ich habe geschrieben.

Danke!

Edited by Fasulye on 05 February 2012 at 9:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5380 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 10
05 February 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
"Psychological inspirations of the beech tree to read something" Your thread title sounds very spiritualistic ;)

Possible rectified version:

"Ich lerne Deutsch aber ich spreche Deutsch nicht gut. Ich spreche Englisch. Habt ihr Vorschläge, welchen Roman ein Jugendlicher lesen kann? Es braucht keine Übersetzung aus dem Englischen zu sein. Wenn ihr wollt, sagt mir, was von dem, was ich geschrieben habe, nicht richtig ist. Danke!"

Sehr beliebt ist beispielsweise Cornelia Funke.

Edited by Cabaire on 05 February 2012 at 7:27am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 10
05 February 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
techgeek wrote:
Haben Ihr Suggestionen der Buche der Fiktionen zu lesen für ein Jugendliche?Danke!

Viele Deutschlernende lesen deutsche Übersetzungen von bekannten internationalen Bestsellern, z.B. die Harry Potter-Bücher oder die deutschen Übersetzungen der "Hunger Games"-Bücher (Der deutsche Titel ist "Die Tribute von Panem").
Da fast alle englischen Bestseller auf Deutsch übersetzt wurden, kannst Du einfach die deutsche Übersetzung eines Deiner Lieblingsbücher lesen.

techgeek wrote:
Wenn willen Ihr, sagen mir was, dass ist nicht richtig, ich habe geschrieben.

Leider war Dein Deutsch sehr schwer zu verstehen. Es wäre wahrscheinlich besser, wenn Du vorerst auf Englisch schreibst.

Pick the German translation of a well-known international bestseller that you like. Ask in English until your German gets better.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
05 February 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Zum Glück kann ich als Moderatorin Threadtitel editieren. Ich habe jetzt mal den Titel dieses Threads in gutes Deutsch umgeschrieben, sodass die Leser/innen hier gleich verstehen, was techgeek eigentlich sucht.

Fasulye

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 10
05 February 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Please forgive the English.

Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke is a wonderful read. The vocabulary wasn't too difficult, and after a few pages I stopped looking up words I didn't know and just got into the flow of the story.

I believe there are 4 books in the set. Maybe 3. I've only read the 1st. It is available through online book sellers, but you may also be able to find a copy through your local library or the inter-library loan system, which is what I did.

techgeek
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 10
05 February 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all of the responses.

@Cabaire: Wow. My title was pretty bad, wasn't it? Thanks for the translation of the original title.

@Doitsujin: I'll ask practical questions in English until I get better with German. Would it be better for me to just post to an English-language room or for me to post in this room in both English and German?

@Fasulye: It seems the original title was pretty off if Cabaire's translation was right.

@jdmoncada: Were you really able to find a German copy of Inkheart in a US library, or were you somehow getting a loan from a library in Germany? Do you have any more information about that that might help me?

Danke!

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 7 of 10
05 February 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
techgeek wrote:

@jdmoncada: Were you really able to find a German copy of Inkheart in a US library, or were you somehow getting a loan from a library in Germany? Do you have any more information about that that might help me?

I am a librarian, but being such didn't get me special treatment. It just means I am more aware of free things that are available to patrons. Inter-Library Loan is one of those things.

Yes, it came from a library in the US. I think it was in Virginia, actually, but I am not completely certain any more. The only thing I remember for sure is that it was a library not in Louisiana (where I live). There are several libraries in the country that have foreign language reading collections, not just materials about learning the language but actual literature.

ILL is often a service that is provided free or with minimal charge at best. You may have to wait to get your things, but in my library things come and go in a timely manner. I encourage you to take advantage of the service. It will help you expand your materials beyond what the library itself might collect. (Mine, for example, does not collect foreign language literature because I am in a rural area. My individual interest is not enough to warrant us collecting foreign materials.) Plus, people who work with ILL are often experts at finding difficult things. You can make a professional ally whose job it is to provide you with accurate information quickly.

Also... and again, this is the librarian here... giving the library's services use justifies their existence and will help make sure those services are not cut or taken away. If you want to keep your ILL (or any other service) going, you have to actually use it. That goes for any library services, whether books, multi-media or programming and public outreach. So take advantage of your tax money at work because this is one of the good things it will give you.

Please forgive my wordiness. That was an intersection of professional and personal passions.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
06 February 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
techgeek wrote:
@Doitsujin: I'll ask practical questions in English until I get better with German. Would it be better for me to just post to an English-language room or for me to post in this room in both English and German?

@Fasulye: It seems the original title was pretty off if Cabaire's translation was right.

Techgeek, you should post such a topic in the English language room "Literature and Reading". Your German title could have been misunderstood. I always correct German thread titles here in this room, if necessary.

DE: In diesem Thread soll auf Deutsch diskutiert werden, denn ich kann diesen Thread jetzt nicht mehr in einen englischen Raum verschieben.

Bitte haltet euch daran!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 06 February 2012 at 11:36am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version