87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
05 February 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi :)

I'm learning Korean with Rosetta Stone but sometimes, I can't fully grasp the
underlying
rationale. I mean, they introduce some new sentences and ask me to choose among some of
the pictures. Often it's easy but sometimes I am forced to use Google Translate to
understand. For example, there is a sentence that say : 물고기가 커요 and I would have
had to click on a picture where there are a big fish and a scuba diver. How can I
deduce from this picture the sentence ? Am I stupid or is it you ever ? By the way, the
Korean sentence means : "The fish is big".

Thanks.

Edited by Everything on 05 February 2012 at 3:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5200 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
05 February 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, the fish in the picture is quite big. You'll also notice that objects in all the
other pictures are also quite big.

I use Rosetta Stone a lot, in addition to other material. It's just good quality audio
and pictures. I find it more fun rather than actually that good in teaching a language.
But the more advanced levels I tried, for example with Russian which I already know, are
quite difficult, but most people never tried RS beyond the first level so they don't
really have a clue what it's about. In my experience the first level is just so you get a
feeling for the language. I'm talking about RS version 3 here, not v.2 which really was
crap I must admit.

Edited by Delodephius on 05 February 2012 at 4:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4766 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 3
05 February 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I think Rosetta Stone in general is a bit rubbish, and its total rubbish for learning Korean, especially at the beginner
level. I would only use it as a supplement to other learning material. You are much better off relying on some sort of
combination of language program, book, or website than Rosetta Stone for Korean.

The biggest problem with RS for Korean is it doesn't do a very good job explaining the grammar. In Korean, its
particularly difficult due to the usage of prefix/infix/suffixes, which is much different than English or Romance
languages. Rosetta Stone could be ok as a supplement once you understand the basics of grammar and realize the
word for fish isn't 물거기가 but just 물거기 (the 가 is a subject marker) which is something that isn't explained in the
RS program. Also, I thought some of the pictures were rather vague, and t=the pronunciation is really not handled
well in some situations.

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version