Groupie
Canada
Joined 4570 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes
Studies: German

Message 9 of 16
09 February 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 

[/QUOTE]
Yes, I grew up reading "comic books", as opposed to "comic strips" (what you find in
newspapers). Nowadays there are also just "comics" online, which is perhaps causing
this disintegration in comic-terminology. The two examples Cabaire names can both
stand proud next to any novel, in my opinion.

And as for the language in Tintin-style comic books, I find it very helpful. I don't
tend to memorize everything I read in a book and then repeat it word-for-word in
conversation, so there's no worry that I might end up speaking awkwardly. I tend to
use a word or construction in conversation only after having encountered it in many
different circumstances. Reading Tintin and the like simply broadens my linguistic
horizons, which I like to do in any language.[/QUOTE]

Yah, I think more than the vocabulary I'm more worried about being influenced by the
old-styled grammar (it's different now yes?) as a beginner (since German grammar is
hard already) and then getting myself all confused.

so, you've read Tintin in German and English?

1 person has voted this message useful

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4570 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 10 of 16
09 February 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I don't tend to read comics myself but when I was living in Germany I
often saw extensive and diverse collections of German language comics in most large
bookstores (most seemed to be vampire related or translations of well-known Marvel and
manga classics). So I know for a fact that there's plenty of material out there. I
don't know if Thalia sell books online to customers outside Germany but their
comics and manga section could
at least be a good starting place.

Nice link. Is Thalia the biggest chain bookstore in Germany? For anyone wondering they
do ship to Canada. Nobody has Archie it seems. Do you find the German translations to
be true to the English version? You know how some comics have a unique style of
language...I always wonder how well the translations match up and if they keep up with
the original style + matching the writing style to the German equivalent?

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4570 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 11 of 16
09 February 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Anyone know where I can buy a large selection of English comics online in Canada? US? I
want to buy the Eng versions of the German ones Thalia has..

Also, if anyone knows a comprehensive site with a general description of the major comic
book series' so that I can get a glimpse of what is available in the comic world.

Edited by blackcherries on 09 February 2012 at 9:54pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 12 of 16
09 February 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
blackcherries wrote:

Jinx wrote:

Yes, I grew up reading "comic books", as opposed to "comic strips" (what you find in
newspapers). Nowadays there are also just "comics" online, which is perhaps causing
this disintegration in comic-terminology. The two examples Cabaire names can both

And as for the language in Tintin-style comic books, I find it very helpful. I don't
tend to memorize everything I read in a book and then repeat it word-for-word in
conversation, so there's no worry that I might end up speaking awkwardly. I tend to
use a word or construction in conversation only after having encountered it in many
different circumstances. Reading Tintin and the like simply broadens my linguistic
horizons, which I like to do in any language.

Yah, I think more than the vocabulary I'm more worried about being influenced by the
old-styled grammar (it's different now yes?) as a beginner (since German grammar is

Yup, German, English, and French (the originals). I wouldn't worry too much about the grammar if I were you – it really hasn't changed that much that it would negatively affect one's learning experience, in my opinion. There's been the writing reform, of course, but that generally just affects a few small details in the spelling of words.

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4570 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 13 of 16
09 February 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
blackcherries wrote:

Jinx wrote:

horizons, which I like to do in any language.

Yup, German, English, and French (the originals). I wouldn't worry too much about the
grammar if I were you – it really hasn't changed that much that it would negatively
affect one's learning experience, in my opinion. There's been the writing reform, of
course, but that generally just affects a few small details in the spelling of words.

Great, cause I wanted ask what you think of the German and English translations of the
French Tintin? Do they use older language as in the French or did they modernize it?
Are the styles pretty much the same as the original?

Actually, I found the "Land of Soviet" at my local library but it is an old edition:
1988. On Amazon there are newer versions with different covers etc. but I'm curious as
to whether you're aware if the Eng or Ger ones have been re-translated cause then I'd
buy the newer one.

Edited by blackcherries on 11 February 2012 at 12:05am

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 14 of 16
10 February 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
blackcherries wrote:
Jinx wrote:
blackcherries wrote:

Jinx wrote:

Yes, I grew up reading "comic books"...

Yup, German, English, and French (the originals). I wouldn't worry too much about the
grammar if I were you – it really hasn't changed that much that it would negatively
affect one's learning experience, in my opinion. There's been the writing reform, of
course, but that generally just affects a few small details in the spelling of words.

Great, cause I wanted ask what you think of the German and English translations of the
French Tintin? Do they use older language as in the French or did they modernize it?
Are the styles pretty much he same as the original?

Actually, I found the "Land of Soviet" at my local library but it is an old edition:
1988. On Amazon there are newer versions with different covers etc. but I'm curious as
to whether you're aware if the Eng or Ger ones have been re-translated cause then I'd
buy the newer one.

Yes, it's definitely got a certain flavor of the time. Are you familiar with the English versions? I find it quite charming, how the characters talk. I wouldn't say my other languages are good enough to estimate whether the French originals or German translations reflect the same time period and conversational style of language as the English translations do, but I assume so.

For instance, in the English version Tintin often says "Hello, what's this?" or "Great snakes!" Neither of those are commonly used in American English (although apparently "Great snakes" gained popularity thanks to Tintin's usage of it!), but I consider them very valuable, linguistically speaking – I'm fascinated by stylistic variation in the way people talk.

I don't personally have data on the translation info, but a quick Google search turned up this website, dedicated to information on all the Tintin translations – looks pretty cool!

Edited by Jinx on 10 February 2012 at 1:31pm

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4570 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 15 of 16
11 February 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that link Jinx.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5669 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 16
17 February 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
When I was a child of the elemantary school age, I read "Micky Maus", "Donald Duck" and "Fix & Foxi" in German. It's very long ago, but maybe they still exist. I'm not sure with "Fix & Foxi" though.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version