United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4740 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 9 of 11
07 February 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm a PhD student studying Spanish history so I read everyday in Spanish (less often in Catalan) - I also speak and
text to some of my friends in a weird mix of Spanish/Catalan/English. To increase my language learning I often
write my notes in Spanish when I attend lectures, which can make it interesting if someone wishes to borrow your
notes...

I'm lucky, and I know it. Now if only I was a Spanish history lecturer who lived in Luxembourg, then my language
possibilities would really skyrocket!
1 person has voted this message useful

DesEsseintes
Triglot
Ireland
Joined 4941 days ago

33 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, Spanish
Studies: Croatian

Message 10 of 11
03 March 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm working in the marketing industry, for the biggest (and best) company in the world (G.....), in Dublin, Ireland.

My native language is French, which means I'm working on the French-speaking (French / Belgian / Swiss / French Canadian) market. Yet, as I'm neither working in the sales dpt nor in some sort of customer service, I never really have the possibility to "speak" French.

My colleagues are German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian, Greek, etc... So we all communicate in English, which is a bit sad I guess, in so far as this multi-cultural environment would prove fantastic if any of us were to study one of the languages aforementioned.

By the way, one of my colleagues, who is Hungarian and comes from a monolingual family, happens to speaks fluently English, Turkish, German, Spanish, Russian, and Hungarian. Hats off.

Anyway, as my girlfriend is Spanish, that's the language I speak at home.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version