15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Neil_UK
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5072 days ago

50 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto, Welsh
Studies: Polish, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 1 of 15
06 February 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
If so, how do you find the language? I'm quite interested in learning it at some point,
just to be different.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 15
06 February 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I studied it for a semester in university (even received an award for it!). I was the only student who wasn't Jewish and who had never had any exposure to either Yiddish or Hebrew, but my knowledge of German in itself put me miles ahead of the rest. It's really a dialect of German with a lot of Hebrew-influenced words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 15
06 February 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
As a native German, who has studied Hebrew and Russian, I got Yiddish practically as a gift. As a start I read ארום דיא וועלט אין 80 טעג by a certain זשול ווערן and than I tackled some more systematic teaching books. The literature written in a German style is very easy for me to read, for the spoken language and the Eastern style or more Hebrewized formal styles you have to take more time.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 4 of 15
07 February 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Yiddish branched off from medieval German, i.e., relatively recently, as languages go. It has, based on estimates I've heard and find reasonable, about 80% Germanic vocabulary, with most of the rest coming from Hebrew, and a small but significant amount from Russian, Polish, Latin, and elsewhere. Some of this vocabulary seems to be regional, e.g. Polish dialects include far more Polish vocabulary than others.

The grammar is in many ways similar to modern standard German, but has some minor differences such as word order (verbs aren't so forcibly shoved to the end of clauses), some different ways of making plurals, etc.

If you know German, Yiddish isn't that hard to pick up, especially with some Polish and Russian vocab. The more Yiddish-speakers in the world the better!

More directly responsive to the OP's question: ikh hob take lieb zu redn Yiddisch!
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 5 of 15
07 February 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
It's really a dialect of German with a lot of Hebrew-influenced words.

Oder zog verkehrt, "a sprach iz a dialekt met armey un flot"...

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5218 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 6 of 15
07 February 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Your knowledge of German should make it easy for you to tackle Yiddish grammar. I made a post some months ago about the main differences between Standard German and Standard Yiddish.
From a linguistic point of view, I'd say Yiddish is a German dialect but there's a huge cultural gap between the two and that's what make it worth learning. And of course, the gap can also be a linguistic one depending on the subject touched, the author's origin, etc).

Since I began studying Yiddish, I have been in love with it. I read and listen to it daily and the more I do, the more I want to. It's a beautiful, very expressive language.

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4878 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 7 of 15
07 February 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Yiddish is one of the most interesting languages that I've studied. I'm neither Jewish nor have I ever studied
German, but Yiddish is really an interesting take on a Germanic language. For me, the most interesting thing about
is its wide range: A text in Yiddish can either be almost like a dialect of German (and mutually intelligible) or a
completely different language, just depending on the author's origin and/or the style chosen. When you combine
this with the culture and history of European Jews, it gets even more interesting.

However, I really have to say that Yiddish shouldn't be considered a dialect of German, but rather like a sister
language. I have tried talking to Germans only in Yiddish, and it only works if you also know German well, meaning
that you are able to know which words and constructions would be understood by a German. The result is that I
can at least converse with Germans using only Yiddish, but it's not the same language as if I were speaking with
someone who knows Yiddish.

I also have a question to anyone who feels tempted to answer. I often find it easier to understand people from
southern Germany or Austria. Are these dialects closer to Yiddish than northern (High) German dialects?
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 8 of 15
07 February 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Mauritz wrote:
A text in Yiddish can either be almost like a dialect of German (and mutually intelligible) or a
completely different language, just depending on the author's origin and/or the style chosen. When you combine
this with the culture and history of European Jews, it gets even more interesting.

That whole wide-ranging thing generally shows up more as a frustration for me, when I suddenly go from understanding 99% or so down to 80%, but the other side is that Yiddish can very easily be called a "rich" language with infinite expressive capabilities. I saw an estimate of 180,000 words in the Yiddish lexicon, though we all know how meaningless those numbers can be, and you could almost claim that every German, Hebrew, and now English word is by default a Yiddish word if it's used by a Yiddish speaker.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version