IronFist
United States
Joined 6246 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 9 of 14
14 February 2012 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
"exchange opinions on [something]" sounds weird but is technically correct and everyone would know what you meant.

I think "share opinions" sounds a little more natural.

The only time I can imagine anyone saying either of those would be like a school teacher telling the class to share their opinions on something (an assignment or movie they watched for whatever) or like in a business meeting.

What is the context you are seeing or wanting to use this phrase in?

Edited by IronFist on 14 February 2012 at 4:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4674 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 14
14 February 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
To my American ears "exchange opinions" sounds correct, but slightly more stilted or formal than "swap opinions", although I would be more likely to say "share our opinions on...", or "discuss our opinions on...".

In my experience people are perfectly willing to "share" their opinions, but would be very unlikely to "exchange" their opinions, since "exchange" kind of hints at accepting the other's opinion and giving up one's own, which frankly, is not likely. Still, as a polite formality, it sounds fine.

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4543 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 14
14 February 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say that "exchange opinions" sounds stilted to me, but it is a bit more formal. It would be what I would expect to hear at work when being told the purpose of a meeting.

In a completely informal conversation, frankly I wouldn't think that any of the above ("exchange opinions", "swap opinions", "share opinions") would be likely phrasings. In a completely informal setting I think that "talk about" would be more likely in my personal social circles as an American.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6246 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 14
15 February 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I think the most likely scenario for an American would be "let me tell you why you're wrong." :D

chenshujian
Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5259 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 13 of 14
16 February 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Thank you all! It is really really very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 14 of 14
16 February 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
These expressions are are correct. But I will say that non-native speakers, particularly asians, tend to use them in an
unnatural way. I don't know why they've come into favor, but they are very popular "strange English" phrases over
seas. For example:

US student studying Mandarin in China: Can we get together to talk some time?
Chinese student studying English: Yes! There is a coffee shop near the University. We can go there to exchange
ideas.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version