Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most lucrative languages to translate...

Tags: Business | Translation
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
jaliyah
United States
Joined 4920 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 1 of 5
07 February 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
...INTO English?

(Sorry, I couldn't fit the whole question on the subject line)

I'm wondering which language(s) a translator would want to know to make the most money translating into English (written material, not spoken/interpretation).

Anyone know?

My understanding is that the "FIGS" languages (French, Italian, German, Spanish) have so many people learning them that they don't pay well to translate into English, so...

I'm especially wondering about the following:

Japanese
Korean
Mandarin
Indonesian
Persian
Turkish
Arabic (MSA?)
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Dutch/Flemish
Swedish
Norwegian (Bokmal)
Danish (2 for 1, with Norwegian?)
Russian

Also, if you know which "specializations" (medical, legal, finance, etc.) pay the most, that would be interesting too, especially if you can pair up language + specialization (but please, no wild guesses - you either know this or you don't - thanks)
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
07 February 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I can only give you a partial answer. It is not a "wild guess" response, but is not my personal experience either. So, apologies if it is inappropriate.

A friend of mine is a translator from Czech to English. He reckons that there has been loads of reasonably well paid work translating legal documents for all the newer member states of the European Union into English - particularly submission for EU grants for large development projects.

There are some other specific points that he brought up:

1: There is no "fixed rate" for EU work. Rather, you put in bids for work, and they choose based on cost and your past experience in related areas.
2: The field is getting ever more competitive, and the rates he gets are going down.
3: The work is intensely boring.

From chatting to him, it is clear that to make the "big money" you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right skills, and the situation changes quite rapidly. For example, a couple of years ago there was a lot of work for translating Slovenian into English and nobody was bidding for it, so you could name your price. A few months later, the situation apparently reversed and it was paying lower rates again.

From this, I am not sure if you can already speak fluently all the languages you mention, or whether you are planning ahead long term. If the latter, then be aware that the demand today will certainly have completely changed by the time you have achieved the language level required and have enough experience in low paid work to be eligible to apply for the big-paying jobs.

Edited by Splog on 07 February 2012 at 10:09am

5 persons have voted this message useful

jaliyah
United States
Joined 4920 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 3 of 5
07 February 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks Splog - that's good to know, if rather discouraging. You're right, I'm in the latter category... wondering if I should try to master one of these languages. Or maybe not.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6744 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 5
08 February 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
I don't know about most of the languages on your list, but I have read that translators of
Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin into English are the envy of other translators because of
how much they can charge... in some cases 10 times the rates of their counterparts in
Western Europe.

At least in Japanese, the highest paying specialization is patents, and there seems to be
no shortage of job offers for translators in this field. However, clients will usually
require at least 3 years of experience (sometimes as much as 10!), and to a lesser extent
the same thing goes for other specializations. As a newcomer you would have to get this
experience through either pro bono work or job experience in the field for a few years
before being able to move on to paid translation work.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 5
08 February 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
jaliyah wrote:

I'm especially wondering about the following:

Japanese
Korean
Mandarin
Indonesian
Persian
Turkish
Arabic (MSA?)
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Dutch/Flemish
Swedish
Norwegian (Bokmal)
Danish (2 for 1, with Norwegian?)
Russian

Also, if you know which "specializations" (medical, legal, finance, etc.) pay the most, that would be interesting too, especially if you can pair up language + specialization (but please, no wild guesses - you either know this or you don't - thanks)

I hate to say it, but without knowing any of the languages, it's a long road to travel before you have to worry about what's most lucrative.

For someone just entering the field, have a look at places like proz.com and translatorscafe.com and look at what languages are most in demand and what their budgets are. Those are the types of jobs you'll be going for initially.

Most of higher paid jobs don't appear on job boards like these. They come through other associations, like the ATA, IoL, or other nationally recognized associations.

I've said this before (and gotten criticism for it), but most people get into the translation industry well after they've learned a language, and learned that language well. It's not enough to simply be able to speak and write the language. A deep understanding of the source culture comes into play, and that usually requires spending a significant amount of time in the country where the language is spoken.

That said, I make my living primarily with two romance languages - mostly business documentation for the private sector, so there's still plenty of work out there for those language pairs. They just require the same amount of time and dedication you would give to any other language.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 08 February 2012 at 2:25am

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version