Croatia
Joined 4477 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 17 of 18
28 February 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

On the other hand, Standard Slovenian and Standard Croatian aren't that close and the most common way for Croats to narrow the gap is to pick up certain non-standard features specific to the region around the Croato-Slovenian border.

Slovenian and Croatian are just like Norwegian and Swedish,
it's very easy for me to understand Slovenian and I have never studied it ;)
We Croats consider our dialects very important, just like people in Norway,
and basically no one in Croatia speaks the standard language, which exists only as written language, again like in Norwegian.
Only Croats in Bosnia and Herzegovina speak the standard Croatian, but this is not my country!
Most cartoons in Croatian movie theaters are dubbed in dialects!

Edited by Medulin on 28 February 2012 at 1:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4508 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 18 of 18
29 February 2012 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
1.The diglossia is quite overestimated. There are many people who speak nearly standard
Czech, there are dialects which use the word endings from standard Czech but differ in
other ways etc. If we are living in diglossia than so are the English speakers. And
speakers of any other language because the colloquial and "real" language is hardly
ever the same as the standard one.

The only people speaking close to standard Czech are Moravians who are unsure that their dialect will be understod. IIRC there is some northeastern bohemian dialect that uses grammar close to standard czech, but that's an insignificant minority, most people speak common czech with minor variation.

Chung wrote:
I don't recall anything as colloquial as já byla for byla jsem.

I'm pretty sure they are both acceptable in standard Czech.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version